Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Angels Envy Barrel Strength spotted last night in retail!

What's the lesson we learned today, kids? Complain about things on the internet more often, and good things will happen to you...

Virtuoso

Nicely done. I hope I get a chance for a bottle. Enjoyed some of the regular version yesterday with a great cigar.

Best regards, Tony

Connoisseur

600 bottles? Isn't that just the yield from a single port pipe?

I am with Sku when he says that the golden age of bourbon has passed. I see this when a second rate bottle-filler like Mr. Henderson can get away with retail prices this high for a young whiskey he bought from somebody else, and did what so many scotch people do, to kill the natural bourbon notes, and then sell it literally for the HIGHEST PRICE EVER for a 7-8 year old bourbon.

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    600 bottles? Isn't that just the yield from a single port pipe?

I am with Sku when he says that the golden age of bourbon has passed. I see this when a second rate bottle-filler like Mr. Henderson can get away with retail prices this high for a young whiskey he bought from somebody else, and did what so many scotch people do, to kill the natural bourbon notes, and then sell it literally for the HIGHEST PRICE EVER for a 7-8 year old bourbon.
    Someone is shooting for a case of the stuff from Wes!

Connoisseur

Re: Angel's Envy Cask Strength

I think Sku and Bad_scientist are correct. 4-6 year old bulk whiskey, finished for two years in port pipes, at cask strength, selling for $140+? No thanks. And no, I don't want a sample.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Connoisseur

Re: Angel's Envy Cask Strength

In my opinion, the price is beyond asinine. At $150, the bottle should have carried an age statement. However, no educated consumer pays $150 for a young 4 year old whiskey and thus, it ends up as NAS with a special wooden box marketed to the unsuspecting. As others have pointed out, the special finishing, the NAS, the young whiskey, the "limited availability", and the ridiculous price embodies much of what's wrong with the current climate.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 11-18-2012 at 12:28.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Challenge accepted. :P

I've little to no doubt it's a quality product. I enjoy the regular bottling quite a bit. I'm simply having a tremendously difficult time justifying the price. But I will indeed let the juice speak for itself per your suggestion, Wes. Well played.
    In the spirit of making this more interesting, I think you should compare it to another cask strength NAS bourbon. Though I don't have anything $150, I imagine something clocking in at half the price should suffice.

If you don't have any, please PM me your info and I will arrange a sample of the also limited availability, NAS, and cask strength George T Stagg. All I ask in return is that you post your review here on SB.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 11-18-2012 at 12:15.

Guru

Got plenty of BTAC, Willett rare releases and 4R 1Bs of similar proof, and PHCs (including the cognac finished) to put it through its paces.

Connoisseur

If the hefty price tag also includes an invitation to a party with food and I assume more booze then the experience may be worth the cost if you can make it out there.
    Peggy: Look Al, the rubes think I'm sexy!
    Al: So would I if I had whiskey for breakfast.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    In the spirit of making this more interesting, I think you should compare it to another cask strength NAS bourbon. Though I don't have anything $150, I imagine something clocking in at half the price should suffice.

If you don't have any, please PM me your info and I will arrange a sample of the also limited availability, NAS, and cask strength George T Stagg. All I ask in return is that you post your review here on SB.
    I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to use your post to tie into this discussion on the other side:

1) What would be the point of comparing CS AE to an unfinished CS bourbon. This is a finished bourbon, and it's the Henderson's skill in finishing bourbon is what those of us that will purchase this product appreciate. The Henderson's (all put all of them in this group because I really believe it the trio that has made this into the product that I love) are by no means "2nd rate bottle fillers". They take a sourced whiskey and create a finished American whiskey that has the depth and complexity of a finished scotch. Others have tried (BT, WR, Bowman), but I have found their efforts to be lackluster and unbalanced compared to AE. I know much of the bourbon community is not enamored with finishes and that's fine .... each to their own. But for those of us that have enjoyed the effects of finishing scotch, it is a real treat to have an American whiskey that can stand up on its own.

2). The price is extremely high, no question about it. However, I really can't argue with AE having limited capacity wanting to make the most of this limited release. They are not targeting the "uninformed" or "uneducated" with this release, rather they know the niche market and are simply applying the laws of supply and demand. There is no hype around AE that will attract collectors, flippers, or frustrated PBW/BTAC, rather the people buying this product will be those that believe it to be the best finished American whiskey available. Would I have liked this product to be cheaper - YES. Realistically though, I believe at the $150 price tag it will sell out very quickly. So is it a fair price - YES (and at least they softened the blow a little bit with the party add-on). This is not a product aimed at the mass market of bourbon buyers - that's regular AE. I don't believe that the Henderson's even believe it is a product that is aimed at the majority of pure bourbon enthusiasts (based upon what I've been told most bourbon groups have preferred blends with small percentages of finished whiskey rather than 100% finished bourbon which I understand this release is going to be). Rather it is a product that will go to the niche market of those of us that enjoy finished whiskeys. When you are marketing to a niche market and you are the BEST in your area of expertise....you can charge what the market will bear.

3). I've been a little surprised with the reaction this release has received. Surprised that most think it is overpriced - NO. Surprised that most SB'er's don't plan to buy it - NO. What surprises me is the notion that AE is going after people that don't know what they're doing. IMHO, the vast majority of people purchasing this product will be doing so with their eyes wide open (along with their noses and mouths) believing that they are buying the best finished American whiskey currently available.