Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Labels that use high-rye recipe MGP distillate

I was over on the MGP website and notice that they list their mashbills. One bourbon mashbill has a 36% rye content. AFAIK that is the highes around for a bourbon. Does anyone know of label that uses MGP whiskey and uses this mashbill. Thanks.

Enthusiast

Re: Labels that use high-rye recipe MGP distillate

I believe Smooth Ambler Old Scout uses this mashbill

*edit: confirmed Old Scout uses this mashbill from LDI
    Last edited by qman22; 03-07-2013 at 14:28.

Guru

Grand Dad is around 30 but percentage of rye in the mashbill is only part of the story. There's mashing, type of cooker and temperatures (is the rye cooked from the beginning or added later at a different temperature) type yeast (propagated or dry) enhancers to speed the conversion process, other enhancers (enzymes?) to squeeze out every .001% of alcohol, single run through the still (doubler?) Proof off the still, how long aged in barrel and where in which warehouse, then the final selection for blending to meet a brand profile. Old Forester uses more rye than Barton but I taste it more in Barton.

Too many variables to draw any conclusions from percentage of rye alone.

Guru

Oh, and does MGPI use the same yeast/enzymes in the different mashbills?

Disciple

Redemption Bourbon lists the LDI, or MGPI, high-rye percentages on the front label.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Grand Dad is around 30 but percentage of rye in the mashbill is only part of the story. There's mashing, type of cooker and temperatures (is the rye cooked from the beginning or added later at a different temperature) type yeast (propagated or dry) enhancers to speed the conversion process, other enhancers (enzymes?) to squeeze out every .001% of alcohol, single run through the still (doubler?) Proof off the still, how long aged in barrel and where in which warehouse, then the final selection for blending to meet a brand profile. Old Forester uses more rye than Barton but I taste it more in Barton.

Too many variables to draw any conclusions from percentage of rye alone.
    Well, I just thought I asked a pretty simple question. I didn't draw any conclusions I was just stating the obvious that 36% is great than 27% (OGD mashbill from the whiskey tree) and I was wondering who uses it. I realize making bourbon is far more complicated than just a mashbill.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Redemption Bourbon lists the LDI, or MGPI, high-rye percentages on the front label.
    I haven't seen Smooth Ambler around here and have only seen the Redemption Rye. I will keep an eye out for these. I am not assuming that the MGP mashbill will make a better bourbon..I just want to try it for learning's sake.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by qman22 View Post
    I believe Smooth Ambler Old Scout uses this mashbill

*edit: confirmed Old Scout uses this mashbill from LDI
    Just Old Scout, which is the 6-year-old, I think, or also Very Old Scout, of which there are several different ages?

I also wonder if anyone has combined the three bourbons. As for yeast, I suspect -- being a former Seagram's plant, and still using the Seagram's mash bills -- they have a different yeast for each mash bill. Seagram's had something like 350 different proprietary yeasts.

I haven't tasted an MGPI bourbon, regardless of mash bill, that I really like unless it was finished in some way and I don't like most of those either.
    Last edited by cowdery; 03-07-2013 at 17:19.

Disciple

WH Harrison advertises their mashbill as a "unique high rye" recipe, so I suspect they are using the LDI high rye, although it isn't a certainty.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Just Old Scout, which is the 6-year-old, I think, or also Very Old Scout, of which there are several different ages?

I also wonder if anyone has combined the three bourbons. As for yeast, I suspect -- being a former Seagram's plant, and still using the Seagram's mash bills -- they have a different yeast for each mash bill. Seagram's had something like 350 different proprietary yeasts.

I haven't tasted an MGPI bourbon, regardless of mash bill, that I really like unless it was finished in some way and I don't like most of those either.
    Hey Chuck thanks for the input. A little off-topic, but do you know if MGPI ages the bourbons as well, or do they just distill it and the aging takes place elsewhere? I know I sure do like the 95% rye from Bulleit and the Willet versions. I have not had the new Dickel.