Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today? - Spring/Summer 2012

Went with a WP. Figured the original release from Canadian stock was more limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    As a carry over from the What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today thread, I'm looking at Baker's, Booker's, and KCSB, all significantly marked down. I'm thinking I would like to pick up two out of the three.

I've had Baker's and I like it quite a bit. I haven't tried the other two yet.
    I'd go with the Baker's and the Booker's myself. The KCSB just didn't trip my trigger.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Four Roses 2011 LE Single Barrel vs Four Roses 2011 LE Small Batch.
    They are both the same price. I'd naturally lean toward the one that's higher proof, but I've read differing opinions of both of these and now I'm confused.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by gblick View Post
    Four Roses 2011 LE Single Barrel vs Four Roses 2011 LE Small Batch.
    They are both the same price. I'd naturally lean toward the one that's higher proof, but I've read differing opinions of both of these and now I'm confused.
    The 1B is a thick, heavy rainbow jolly rancher that takes a few months to really open up. The SmB is a tantalizing seductress of honey, melon and wood. I'd have to give it to the SmB for being a bit more accessible. If you want something to sit open on your bar for a few months, go with the 1B, but if you want instant gratification, go with the SmB.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Disciple

Buy one you haven't tried. If you like it, buy more and put them away. Then, move onto the next. Repeat.

Virtuoso

Thanks! I still don't know whether I'll pull the trigger (I'm cheap), but this helps.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    I'd go with the Baker's and the Booker's myself. The KCSB just didn't trip my trigger.
    That was my first thought, too. But I got the KCSB for about the same price as regular KC would be. And I'm always looking to try new things.

Even though the sale is over I'll be getting another Booker's from this batch for the bunker.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

OK, I have been avoiding Heaven Hill products thanks to... less than stellar experiences with their namesake label and Evan Williams Black.

I've been advised that I should give Heaven Hill a fair shot before writing them off, with some of their better products.

Now, thanks to another SBer, I will soon have a bottle of PHC to try, but I certainly don't consider that a standard bourbon and is not something I will drink regularly.

What I can find around here includes

EC12
    EC18
    EWSB
    JW Dant
    Fighting Cock
    Henry McKenna 80
    Henry McKenna Single Barrel 10/100

I understand that everybody's tastes are different, and I am not asking which of these is "the best." What I want to know is, if you had to pick one to say, "this is the best representative of the Heaven Hill Profile" which one would you select for that purpose?

Connoisseur

Definitely not JW Dant!

I'd pick EC12, especially the newer bottles from '11 & '12. EWSB would be my second pick, as I think EC18 is too woody.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    OK, I have been avoiding Heaven Hill products thanks to... less than stellar experiences with their namesake label and Evan Williams Black.

I've been advised that I should give Heaven Hill a fair shot before writing them off, with some of their better products.

Now, thanks to another SBer, I will soon have a bottle of PHC to try, but I certainly don't consider that a standard bourbon and is not something I will drink regularly.

What I can find around here includes

EC12
    EC18
    EWSB
    JW Dant
    Fighting Cock
    Henry McKenna 80
    Henry McKenna Single Barrel 10/100

I understand that everybody's tastes are different, and I am not asking which of these is "the best." What I want to know is, if you had to pick one to say, "this is the best representative of the Heaven Hill Profile" which one would you select for that purpose?
    The problem, as I see it, is that EWB is the Heaven Hill profile... so avoid all the cats and dogs like Dant and standard McKenna, etc. because they are just variations on that theme.

Fighting Cock goes in a different direction and EWSB is generally very good (although perhaps a touch bland) and tones down the grass/mint. EC12 and 18 have their own issues but the 12 would be a cheap learning experience. I'm fond of McKenna single barrel but I recall it being fairly mentholated (though balanced with citrus notes) so you might not care for it.

Based on your stated preferences I think EWSB is a good choice. Maybe FC, too. They're both relatively inexpensive, anyway.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.