Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 135
  1. #21
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    236

    Re: What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today? - Spring/Summer 2012

    Went with a WP. Figured the original release from Canadian stock was more limited.

  2. #22
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    4,168

    Re: What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today? - Spring/Summer 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    As a carry over from the What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today thread, I'm looking at Baker's, Booker's, and KCSB, all significantly marked down. I'm thinking I would like to pick up two out of the three.

    I've had Baker's and I like it quite a bit. I haven't tried the other two yet.
    I'd go with the Baker's and the Booker's myself. The KCSB just didn't trip my trigger.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

  3. #23
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,016

    Re: What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today? - Spring/Summer 2012

    Four Roses 2011 LE Single Barrel vs Four Roses 2011 LE Small Batch.
    They are both the same price. I'd naturally lean toward the one that's higher proof, but I've read differing opinions of both of these and now I'm confused.

  4. #24
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Chicago 'burbs
    Posts
    1,013

    Re: What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today? - Spring/Summer 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by gblick View Post
    Four Roses 2011 LE Single Barrel vs Four Roses 2011 LE Small Batch.
    They are both the same price. I'd naturally lean toward the one that's higher proof, but I've read differing opinions of both of these and now I'm confused.
    The 1B is a thick, heavy rainbow jolly rancher that takes a few months to really open up. The SmB is a tantalizing seductress of honey, melon and wood. I'd have to give it to the SmB for being a bit more accessible. If you want something to sit open on your bar for a few months, go with the 1B, but if you want instant gratification, go with the SmB.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

  5. #25
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    DelMarVa
    Posts
    1,866

    Re: What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today? - Spring/Summer 2012

    Buy one you haven't tried. If you like it, buy more and put them away. Then, move onto the next. Repeat.

  6. #26
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,016

    Re: What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today? - Spring/Summer 2012

    Thanks! I still don't know whether I'll pull the trigger (I'm cheap), but this helps.

  7. #27
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,294

    Re: What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today? - Spring/Summer 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    I'd go with the Baker's and the Booker's myself. The KCSB just didn't trip my trigger.
    That was my first thought, too. But I got the KCSB for about the same price as regular KC would be. And I'm always looking to try new things.

    Even though the sale is over I'll be getting another Booker's from this batch for the bunker.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

  8. #28
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    542

    Re: What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today? - Spring/Summer 2012

    OK, I have been avoiding Heaven Hill products thanks to... less than stellar experiences with their namesake label and Evan Williams Black.

    I've been advised that I should give Heaven Hill a fair shot before writing them off, with some of their better products.

    Now, thanks to another SBer, I will soon have a bottle of PHC to try, but I certainly don't consider that a standard bourbon and is not something I will drink regularly.

    What I can find around here includes

    EC12
    EC18
    EWSB
    JW Dant
    Fighting Cock
    Henry McKenna 80
    Henry McKenna Single Barrel 10/100

    I understand that everybody's tastes are different, and I am not asking which of these is "the best." What I want to know is, if you had to pick one to say, "this is the best representative of the Heaven Hill Profile" which one would you select for that purpose?

  9. #29
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kilgore, TX
    Posts
    679

    Re: What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today? - Spring/Summer 2012

    Definitely not JW Dant!

    I'd pick EC12, especially the newer bottles from '11 & '12. EWSB would be my second pick, as I think EC18 is too woody.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

  10. #30
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,294

    Re: What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today? - Spring/Summer 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    OK, I have been avoiding Heaven Hill products thanks to... less than stellar experiences with their namesake label and Evan Williams Black.

    I've been advised that I should give Heaven Hill a fair shot before writing them off, with some of their better products.

    Now, thanks to another SBer, I will soon have a bottle of PHC to try, but I certainly don't consider that a standard bourbon and is not something I will drink regularly.

    What I can find around here includes

    EC12
    EC18
    EWSB
    JW Dant
    Fighting Cock
    Henry McKenna 80
    Henry McKenna Single Barrel 10/100

    I understand that everybody's tastes are different, and I am not asking which of these is "the best." What I want to know is, if you had to pick one to say, "this is the best representative of the Heaven Hill Profile" which one would you select for that purpose?
    The problem, as I see it, is that EWB is the Heaven Hill profile... so avoid all the cats and dogs like Dant and standard McKenna, etc. because they are just variations on that theme.

    Fighting Cock goes in a different direction and EWSB is generally very good (although perhaps a touch bland) and tones down the grass/mint. EC12 and 18 have their own issues but the 12 would be a cheap learning experience. I'm fond of McKenna single barrel but I recall it being fairly mentholated (though balanced with citrus notes) so you might not care for it.

    Based on your stated preferences I think EWSB is a good choice. Maybe FC, too. They're both relatively inexpensive, anyway.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Spring 2012
    By jcg9779 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 644
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 19:50
  2. What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer 2010
    By hectic1 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 429
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 17:58
  3. What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Summer 2009
    By hectic1 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 446
    Last Post: 09-22-2009, 11:11
  4. What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? Summer 2008
    By OscarV in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 264
    Last Post: 12-15-2008, 18:09
  5. What bourbon did you purchase today? Summer '07
    By jbutler in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 297
    Last Post: 09-24-2007, 16:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top