Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today? - Spring/Summer 2012

Quote Originally Posted by hectic1 View Post
    if you could take a step back from your personal dislike for Chuck you might see that there is some level of truth to what he said.
    Again, you've repeated your inaccurate contention this is part of a feud. In truth, the only folks making it personal are those who apply preferential double standards.

The original post in question was unambiguous and insulting toward many of the bourbon enthusiasts who read that blog. Typically, a writer would be happy to generate more traffic from the recommendations he willingly posted, instead of using the popularity of that post to make paternalistic assumptions about people who aren't as perfectly informed.

Bourbon is growing. People are going to read recommendations--and rightfully so. There's no reason to snipe at the newcomers who haven't been enthusiasts for 30+ years, especially on a forum entitled "What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today?"
    Last edited by BarrelChar; 04-17-2012 at 18:23.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by BarrelChar View Post
    Again, you've repeated your inaccurate contention this is part of a feud. In truth, the only folks making it personal are those who apply preferential double standards.

Read what Chuck wrote. It's unambiguous and insulting toward many of the bourbon enthusiasts who read his blog. Typically, a writer would be happy to generate more traffic from the recommendations he willingly posted, instead of using the popularity of that post to make paternalistic assumptions about people who aren't as perfectly informed.

Bourbon is growing. People are going to read recommendations--and rightfully so. There's no reason to snipe at the newcomers who haven't been enthusiasts for 30+ years, especially on a forum entitled "What Bourbon Should I Purchase Today?"
    So are you saying that there is no truth to what Chuck said? It's a simple yes or no answer in case you were going to go off on another diatribe about why he said it.
    Last edited by hectic1; 04-17-2012 at 18:29.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Everyone needs to adjust their shorts, take a deep breath and make sure their sensitive bits are ok. Their is not a damn thing wrong with what Chuck said. Anyone who doubts the best way to learn what you like is by drinking it is bring foolish, same goes for anyone who expects to taste the same things a taster uses to describe a bourbon. A certain version of OF Birthday Bourbon was described by same as tasting like diaper, many followed suit, I personally found it to be one of the best unique OFBB releases. Does that mean I like the taste of diaper? No, my pallette didn't interpret what I tasted as diaper in any sense. The only way to learn about the flavors and style of bourbon you like is to drink as many different bourbons as you can. Taste is subjective, as are opinions.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Connoisseur

I think the truth sits somewhere in the middle.

Is there some truth in what Chuck said? Yes.

At the same time, it really sticks out like a sore thumb and is out of place in the context of this thread, which despite the simplistic title is more about helping decide between a couple (or several) bottles and the reason for them.

There was actually a recent thread where somebody was asking why this site didn't have a scoring/rating section like "so many other sites" and this conversation probably BELONGED in that thread. But here, it seems, as BarrelChar said (correctly, feud or not) condecending to those asking for an opinion.

Are there people out there that go strictly by ratings? Absolutely. They are actually the vast majority of people, who couldn't care less about what percentage of rye is in Bourbon X. They don't want to research it, they don't care enough. So be it. You know it and I know it.

But stating it here is like preaching to the choir. We know better, but that doesn't mean we can't ask the opinons of other enthusiasts to help give us an opinon. Some of don't have a vast collection of 50ml bottles or even bars that have much more than Maker's and OGD. So we have to reach out to others of similar mind and stature. What is so wrong about that?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by sob0728 View Post
    I am not trying to defend BarrelChar by any means, but I do think Chuck should understand that not everyone gets sent samples and invited to industry tasting events and we like to get good bourbon when we spend money on it.
    There in lies the truth...YOUR pallet is the only one who should be deciding what is or isn't good bourbon! Arguement over!

Enthusiast

There in lies the truth...YOUR pallet is the only one who should be deciding what is or isn't good bourbon! Arguement over!
    If only I knew someone who had hundreds of different bourbons in their basement and could invite me over to taste them....
    -SOB-

Connoisseur

Was anybody disputing that?

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    Was anybody disputing that?
    Not me...were you?

Enthusiast

I come here to learn/talk about/enjoy bourbon. I don't drink enough, make enough, nor have the interest in trying everything on the market. I try to parse through the hype, hyperbole and bias to see if there is something about an offering that I might like -- knowing what I tend to enjoy. Do I love all the bourbons I have bought -- no. Did I learn something from all of them -- yep.

I, like many, came to the high end world of bourbon compliments of Mr. Van Winkle. I really honestly enjoy the flavor profile of the 20-year. That said, through further exposure, I have found I prefer higher rye/rye and have gravitated towards purchasing those more frequently.

Did I think Chuck's comment was a little odd -- yes. Out of bounds, not even close. Do I think things have gotten oddly combatitive around here lately? Yes, I do. I hope everyone can stop acting like every post is a campaign promise and just have fun. I come here on my own free time because I want to -- no one here is curing cancer and I like it that way.
    tl; dnr

Disciple

One thing I'll say for BarrelChar, for a guy with only 70 posts, I'd say most of us have read every one of them.