Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

What can you tell me about Willett Pot Still Reserve?

I haven't ever seen a bottle of this, so I decided to pick it up. I paid $22. It says single barrel, but has no age statement.

What did I get?

I plan on giving it a try this evening.

Enthusiast

Re: What can you tell me about Willett Pot Still Reserve?

Quote Originally Posted by clindt View Post
    I haven't ever seen a bottle of this, so I decided to pick it up. I paid $22. It says single barrel, but has no age statement.

What did I get?

There is a whole thread about this (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...?t=8700&page=3) but DrinkyBanjo (note: good name) in it posted the main points that Drew Kulsveen of Kentucky Bourbon Distillers chose to tell us about it:

"It is called Willett Family Pot Still Reserve. It is a single barrel 8 to 10 years old at 94 proof in a pot still decanter replicated from the pot still that we have in place."

Without sounding like too much of a jerk, I would like to say this about it: it was not distilled at the Willett distillery, they did not use a pot still in the process, ....and it may not even be a "reserve." But besides that, everything else written on the bottle is completely factual and not at all misleading.

However, it IS a cool bottle and $22 is a better price than I have ever seen for it.
    -SOB-

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sob0728 View Post
    There is a whole thread about this (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...?t=8700&page=3) but DrinkyBanjo (note: good name) in it posted the main points that Drew Kulsveen of Kentucky Bourbon Distillers chose to tell us about it:

"It is called Willett Family Pot Still Reserve. It is a single barrel 8 to 10 years old at 94 proof in a pot still decanter replicated from the pot still that we have in place."

Without sounding like too much of a jerk, I would like to say this about it: it was not distilled at the Willett distillery, they did not use a pot still in the process, ....and it may not even be a "reserve." But besides that, everything else written on the bottle is completely factual and not at all misleading.

However, it IS a cool bottle and $22 is a better price than I have ever seen for it.

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look at it. I guess its safe to assume not much has changed in the last 4 years that that post was started?

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Can't argue with that. I couldn't care less what's written on the label (factual or not), but reckon that it is by far the best looking bottle currently on the market. They're not quite so cheap here in Australia though.... they come in via an independant importer and last time I saw one it was $130 for the 750ml bottle.

Connoisseur

This is some of that "truthiness" that the bourbon industry is so well known for that it leads to things like the mind=blown thread where everyone questions everything.

They don't say it is pot stilled whiskey, they don't say that they distilled it and rhey don't say that the pot still they have is functional. They do say it is single barrel and rhe bottle looks like a still they have. The rest is left to be "inferred" but allows they to say "they didn't lie"

Guru

The truthiness issues have been mentioned, but all and all not a bad bourbon, I think. Fits the KBD profile. One of the better ones, tho.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    The truthiness issues have been mentioned, but all and all not a bad bourbon, I think. Fits the KBD profile. One of the better ones, tho.
    I agree with Josh. And it's more on KBD's softer, more buttery side along with JD private stock and Kentucky Vintage. Noah's and Pure are more on the spicy, aggresive side of things.

Connoisseur

I opened mine last week, and had a snort. No nose to speak of, and tasted like white dog to me, with a little age to it.

Last night it was totally different, you could smell it in the glass, and the white dog taste was gone.

I have bottle 149 of 281, from barrel 6404.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Disciple

I had a sip at a tasting last fall. I remember it being pretty decent, and well worth the price you paid for it.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by clindt View Post

What did I get?

open it, pour it into a glass, and drink it. You're the one with the bottle, why are you asking us? oh you're asking about the truthiness thing. Don't let it bother you, KBD has some good bourbon out there and some that I would pass on just like everybody else. Just enjoy it, its real Kentucky Bourbon.