Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Taster
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    68

    What can you tell me about Willett Pot Still Reserve?

    I haven't ever seen a bottle of this, so I decided to pick it up. I paid $22. It says single barrel, but has no age statement.

    What did I get?

    I plan on giving it a try this evening.

  2. #2
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    276

    Re: What can you tell me about Willett Pot Still Reserve?

    Quote Originally Posted by clindt View Post
    I haven't ever seen a bottle of this, so I decided to pick it up. I paid $22. It says single barrel, but has no age statement.

    What did I get?

    I plan on giving it a try this evening.
    There is a whole thread about this (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...?t=8700&page=3) but DrinkyBanjo (note: good name) in it posted the main points that Drew Kulsveen of Kentucky Bourbon Distillers chose to tell us about it:

    "It is called Willett Family Pot Still Reserve. It is a single barrel 8 to 10 years old at 94 proof in a pot still decanter replicated from the pot still that we have in place."

    Without sounding like too much of a jerk, I would like to say this about it: it was not distilled at the Willett distillery, they did not use a pot still in the process, ....and it may not even be a "reserve." But besides that, everything else written on the bottle is completely factual and not at all misleading.

    However, it IS a cool bottle and $22 is a better price than I have ever seen for it.
    -SOB-

  3. #3
    Taster
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    68

    Re: What can you tell me about Willett Pot Still Reserve?

    Quote Originally Posted by sob0728 View Post
    There is a whole thread about this (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...?t=8700&page=3) but DrinkyBanjo (note: good name) in it posted the main points that Drew Kulsveen of Kentucky Bourbon Distillers chose to tell us about it:

    "It is called Willett Family Pot Still Reserve. It is a single barrel 8 to 10 years old at 94 proof in a pot still decanter replicated from the pot still that we have in place."

    Without sounding like too much of a jerk, I would like to say this about it: it was not distilled at the Willett distillery, they did not use a pot still in the process, ....and it may not even be a "reserve." But besides that, everything else written on the bottle is completely factual and not at all misleading.

    However, it IS a cool bottle and $22 is a better price than I have ever seen for it.

    Thanks for the link. I'll take a look at it. I guess its safe to assume not much has changed in the last 4 years that that post was started?

  4. #4
    Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Brisbane Australia
    Posts
    2,879

    Re: What can you tell me about Willett Pot Still Reserve?

    Quote Originally Posted by sob0728 View Post
    However, it IS a cool bottle and $22 is a better price than I have ever seen for it.
    Can't argue with that. I couldn't care less what's written on the label (factual or not), but reckon that it is by far the best looking bottle currently on the market. They're not quite so cheap here in Australia though.... they come in via an independant importer and last time I saw one it was $130 for the 750ml bottle.

  5. #5
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    542

    Re: What can you tell me about Willett Pot Still Reserve?

    Quote Originally Posted by sob0728 View Post

    "It is called Willett Family Pot Still Reserve. It is a single barrel 8 to 10 years old at 94 proof in a pot still decanter replicated from the pot still that we have in place."

    Without sounding like too much of a jerk, I would like to say this about it: it was not distilled at the Willett distillery, they did not use a pot still in the process, ....and it may not even be a "reserve." But besides that, everything else written on the bottle is completely factual and not at all misleading.
    This is some of that "truthiness" that the bourbon industry is so well known for that it leads to things like the mind=blown thread where everyone questions everything.

    They don't say it is pot stilled whiskey, they don't say that they distilled it and rhey don't say that the pot still they have is functional. They do say it is single barrel and rhe bottle looks like a still they have. The rest is left to be "inferred" but allows they to say "they didn't lie"

  6. #6
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    5,167

    Re: What can you tell me about Willett Pot Still Reserve?

    The truthiness issues have been mentioned, but all and all not a bad bourbon, I think. Fits the KBD profile. One of the better ones, tho.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

  7. #7
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,534

    Re: What can you tell me about Willett Pot Still Reserve?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    The truthiness issues have been mentioned, but all and all not a bad bourbon, I think. Fits the KBD profile. One of the better ones, tho.
    I agree with Josh. And it's more on KBD's softer, more buttery side along with JD private stock and Kentucky Vintage. Noah's and Pure are more on the spicy, aggresive side of things.

  8. #8
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kilgore, TX
    Posts
    686

    Re: What can you tell me about Willett Pot Still Reserve?

    I opened mine last week, and had a snort. No nose to speak of, and tasted like white dog to me, with a little age to it.

    Last night it was totally different, you could smell it in the glass, and the white dog taste was gone.

    I have bottle 149 of 281, from barrel 6404.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

  9. #9
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    1,661

    Re: What can you tell me about Willett Pot Still Reserve?

    I had a sip at a tasting last fall. I remember it being pretty decent, and well worth the price you paid for it.

  10. #10
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    405

    Re: What can you tell me about Willett Pot Still Reserve?

    Quote Originally Posted by clindt View Post
    I haven't ever seen a bottle of this, so I decided to pick it up. I paid $22. It says single barrel, but has no age statement.

    What did I get?

    I plan on giving it a try this evening.
    open it, pour it into a glass, and drink it. You're the one with the bottle, why are you asking us? oh you're asking about the truthiness thing. Don't let it bother you, KBD has some good bourbon out there and some that I would pass on just like everybody else. Just enjoy it, its real Kentucky Bourbon.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Willett Family Reserve 22yo Single Barrel
    By doubleblank in forum Other American Whiskey Tastings
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-21-2006, 07:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top