Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vat The Jack

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Vat The Jack

As part of my ongoing whiskey vatting experiments, for some years I've been combining the different bottlings of Jack Daniels. IMO, JD in general has improved a lot in recent years. But the regular Jack Black is now 80 proof and sometimes its distinctive top-note of yellow fruit-like flavor (banana, yes but it is more than that) is a little strong for me, so I blend in some JD Single Barrel which is richer and often has none of that top-note or a different one, cherry, say. Gentleman Jack is good to impart overall sweetness and body, it seems to knit everything together.

I have a vatting I plan to add Jack Green Label to, when I get some in KY at the end of the month. This has a younger-tasting profile and in a good mingling I like some whiskey that is less woody than the others, it adds complexity and balance. I'll bring some of my current vatting to the Gazebo upcoming.

Gary

Connoisseur

Re: Vat The Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    As part of my ongoing whiskey vatting experiments, for some years I've been combining the different bottlings of Jack Daniels. IMO, JD in general has improved a lot in recent years. But the regular Jack Black is now 80 proof and sometimes its distinctive top-note of yellow fruit-like flavor (banana, yes but it is more than that) is a little strong for me, so I blend in some JD Single Barrel which is richer and often has none of that top-note or a different one, cherry, say. Gentleman Jack is good to impart overall sweetness and body, it seems to knit everything together.

I have a vatting I plan to add Jack Green Label to, when I get some in KY at the end of the month. This has a younger-tasting profile and in a good mingling I like some whiskey that is less woody than the others, it adds complexity and balance. I'll bring some of my current vatting to the Gazebo upcoming.

Gary
    What about throwing in a little bit of George Dickel no12 or Barrel Select? Similar family of products and it might bring some stronger spicy notes into that JD VAT?
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Indeed! I call that the Tennessee Waltz.

Gary

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Indeed! I call that the Tennessee Waltz.

Gary
    lol...that name has already been taken;

Tennessee Waltz Drink Recipe

Recipe Ingredients

2 oz. Pineapple Juice
    4 oz. Vanilla Ice Cream
    1 1/4 oz. Peach Schnapps
    1 oz. Passion Fruit Juice
    Instruction

blend ingredients until smooth, parfait glass and garnish with whipped cream and a strawberry

But....I think I might prefer your version....

I agree, that one's not for me either.

How about the Tennessee Twain?

Gary

Enthusiast

How 'bout "A Volunteered State"?
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

I came up with a good vatting recently. I used two single barrels and two Jack Black Labels. I tinkered until I got the right balance. In particular, two of the brands were excessively woody, while the others were medicinal/minty or kind of chestnut-earthy. In the right combination, it is a silky dram that melts away on the palate and leaves a blending of each flavor. The proof is about 90, maybe a little less. I can't improve on it, not from the materials I used anyway.

Gary

Guru

Highwest Campfire is, according to Jason Pyle - http://sourmashmanifesto.com/categor...eviewsratings/

"Here’s the gist of Campfire Whiskey. Its a blend of a six year old bourbon distilled and aged at Midwest Grain Products (Formerly Lawrenceburg Distillers Indiana or LDI), a 5.5 year old rye whiskey also distilled at the former LDI and aged in the upper floors of the famed Stitzel Weller Warehouses in Kentucky, and finally an 8 year old peated Scotch whiskey from the Scottish mainland. Global blending anyone???"

Any suggestions on trying to mimick this vatting?

Maybe 5-10% Highland Park 8 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky or similar....Isle Of Skye 8 year old .
    Maybe 40%-60% Bulleit.....or 4 Roses? VOB?
    Last edited by Jono; 12-05-2012 at 16:38.

Sure, but I'd use a peatier malt. Say 40% VOB or 4R or JDSB, 40% Russell's Reserve Rye or Bulleit Rye or Baby Saz, the rest Laphroig or any good Islay malt but not too old.

Which worthy SBer will do this right now and report of himself well and truly? Easy to do in the glass...

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 12-05-2012 at 17:09.

Guru

I would do it but I don't have the HW Campfire for comparison purposes....but may play around anyhow.