Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: New Elijah Craig 12 Label

When the COLA is approved, the TTB allows you to use the same permit for your label...provided the only thing that changes is the alcoholic content. In other words, the 132 is an arbitrary number, and probably doesn't reflect what the final product will be.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    When the COLA is approved, the TTB allows you to use the same permit for your label...provided the only thing that changes is the alcoholic content. In other words, the 132 is an arbitrary number, and probably doesn't reflect what the final product will be.
    Can you cite where that is stated? I would like to pass that along to an Oregon distiller.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    Josh,

Did you happen to notice the proof on the newer bottle? It looks like it might be 132 proof. Too bad your pic cut off the price marker.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonlin...12067001000462
    I was at that store today and believe it was 92 proof. It's also worth noting that Michigan retailers don't really do private bottlings. The closest I saw was a store that had Knob Creek in wooden boxes with the store's name on it a few years ago. I would guess that the state control system makes it impossible to do a retailer bottling.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

The HH fire was almost 18 years ago so makes sense they might soon be short of 18yr+ barrels

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    That's a choice one has with the McKenna Bond as well. I've teamed with Ledgers Liquors on 4 (soon to be 5) McKennas, and not chill-filtering was one of the major considerations. HH's being open to a wide range of profiles in the McKenna bottling was the other.

Roger
    Any idea if they're still stocking #4? I have been looking to finally try McKenna BIB and I'd love for it to be non-chill-filtered.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Nothing succeeds like success. That's what's going on here. It has nothing to do with the 1996 fire or PHC or anything else. It has to do with a strong bourbon market and demand outstripping supply. EC 18 is the oldest regularly-issued bourbon in HH's line, at least in the U.S., so they plan that inventory pretty carefully but never want to overshoot because aging whiskey for 18 years is very expensive and if they don't sell it all, there isn't a lot they can do with the leftovers.

As with the other 'shortages,' they have so much product coming of age each year and maybe that means some places will run out before the next batch is ready. I have no doubt that the number of cases released goes up every year, but demand has been so strong it hasn't been enough.

Overall, the present popularity of bourbon whiskey is good for enthusiasts, but it means we have to share.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    It's also worth noting that Michigan retailers don't really do private bottlings. The closest I saw was a store that had Knob Creek in wooden boxes with the store's name on it a few years ago. I would guess that the state control system makes it impossible to do a retailer bottling.
    I recently talked to two stores in Michigan who are getting single barrels of EC12. One of them even had a tasting event so that the patrons could help choose the barrel, unfortunately I had to work that night.

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by peterlake View Post
    I recently talked to two stores in Michigan who are getting single barrels of EC12. One of them even had a tasting event so that the patrons could help choose the barrel, unfortunately I had to work that night.
    My understanding of the control system in MI is that the state sets the minimum price and also what can be sold, but retailers own the product on the shelf in their stores. In that scenario I see room for private barrel selections.

The rules in Ohio where all of the booze on the store shelves belongs to the state and is sold on consignment does not lend itself to barrel selections at retail beyond the Knob Creek embossed box style.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by dohidied View Post
    Any idea if they're still stocking #4? I have been looking to finally try McKenna BIB and I'd love for it to be non-chill-filtered.
    The new barrel (Ledgers barrel 11) should be in within a couple of weeks.

This is not the standard profile for McKenna, it is specifically chosen from the top floor of a rickhouse at the Fairfield-Schenley site on Bloomfield Road. We find that in addition to the position in the rick making a difference in the juice, each of Heaven Hill's four warehouse sites has certain characteristics.

Roger

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peterlake View Post
    Sounds promising! Was one of them A & L?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog