Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Still Waters 1+11

Just picked this up in Ontario at lcbo. Limited to 1080 bottles, this blend costs $35. I think it's definately worth the money. Creamy, sweet, spicey, complex, and a nice smooth finish. I would put this in same league as wisers legacy, alberta premium 30 and canadian club 20. Anyone else tried this?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Still Waters 1+11

Just picked it up too and I agree with your take on it. Its profile is in the Canadian mold (indeed the whisky is selected and blended by Still Waters, their own make is still being aged for future release) but it is unusually deep and rounded, soft and rich to the palate. Excellent and fairly-priced.

Gary

Connoisseur

Sounds good. I was wondering how this was going to turn out. Scored very high at an international competition.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

It's a good product, with great texture and balance, and they did it with whiskeys not hugely aged, 4-6 years according to the LCBO's description on its site.

Gary

Advanced Taster

They state on the Still Waters website that they use upto 10% of their own whisky in this blend. So, since the distillery only started barreling various corn, malt and rye whiskies 2 years ago...and Canadian whisky must be aged 3 years. Are they using their whisky as the flavouring upto 9.09% in this blend?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyToWhiskey View Post
    They state on the Still Waters website that they use upto 10% of their own whisky in this blend. So, since the distillery only started barreling various corn, malt and rye whiskies 2 years ago...and Canadian whisky must be aged 3 years. Are they using their whisky as the flavouring upto 9.09% in this blend?
    The whole thing is quite puzzling. I picked up a bottle and it is okay so far but seems to lack the balance and finesse of some other bottlings around that price point.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyToWhiskey View Post
    A few months late in responding but I would say that is a big YES.
    1/11 = 9.09% , 1+11
    Coincidence, I think NOT

I wish the rules on Canadian whisky were tighted up so these types of releases were not allowed to be called "Canadian Whisky".
    Unless the 1/11 rule is eliminated, Canadian whisky will never be taken seriously as a premium sipping whisky - especially compared to Single Malt Scotch, Straight Bourbon, and Straight Rye.

Advanced Taster

Looks like they are putting out new products available at distillery only. Here's the 3yo rye.
    new make.jpg

Guru

Three years is new make?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Three years is new make?
    I re-read the Still Waters facebook page;
    "First of three new products for the week now available!

New make spirit has the subtle characteristics of the final whisky it will become after sleeping in oak casks for at least three years, where it will take on an amber colour with deeper nose and flavour.

We present this rare opportunity for you to enjoy this spirit neat, in a cocktail, or age it yourself in small oak. Limited quantities available directly from our onsite retail store."

If it was aged 3years...they could call it whisky.
    Last edited by WhiskyToWhiskey; 02-05-2013 at 15:55. Reason: addional quote