Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aged manhattans

Advanced Taster

Aged manhattans

My sister told me about a bar that made 1 month aged manhattans. They put the manhattan together then put it in a mason jar and age it for 1 month and said it was really good. Anyone ever try making these or had one before?

Disciple

Re: Aged manhattans

I have one in a 1 liter barrel that has been aging about 2 months now. The barrel was previously used for a wheated bourbon. I wasn't planning on pulling it until early summer.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I've got a couple of bottles of Manhattan and Sazerac too, I tend to add to and adjust them (e.g. more bitters) until the balance seems right, then finish (drink) it and start another. Sometimes the last couple of ounces forms the basis for the next jar. It's hard to say if they improve just by the storage. They do seem to round a bit, but there's some heavy duty alcohol in there not to mention the "preservative" effects of bitters. Bitters is made from tree barks and have lots of tannins to add to those from the whiskeys. Mine seem quite stable.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 04-15-2012 at 07:11.

Virtuoso

I have a 5 liter barrel that I use exclusively for Manhattan's. The age continues to vary as I top it off a few times a year as it drinks down. The idea came from what Dave Perkin's is doing at High West. The combination of the time mingled as well as the subtle impact of the barrel makes for a great drink...... and so easy to serve. It serves as a great place to use stub bottles or whiskey that you will never drink neat....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Novice

cigarnv, can you give us some specifics on the mix you use? Is it perfect, or just sweet vermouth? I am going to do this soon...

Advanced Taster

High West has one, aged 90 days. I've heard good things, but I'm not going to drop $50 on a bottle of it...

http://www.highwest.com/spirits/36th...led-manhattan/

Disciple

I just filtered and bottled mine over the weekend, and I was very happy with it. The vermouth seemed "richer" for lack of a better word, and the whole thing had an excellent mouthfeel. Now, like all of my creations, the real challenge is repeatability.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    High West has one, aged 90 days. I've heard good things, but I'm not going to drop $50 on a bottle of it...

http://www.highwest.com/spirits/36th...led-manhattan/

I've had it. It is quite good.

I've started experimenting with bottle aging, as opposed to barrel aging, manhattans. I have yet to find my "perfect" manhattan, so I thought I'd do a little experimentation. Maybe this is the easy way to do it, or maybe it's just my first step to purchasing a barrel to age cocktails I poured myself a glass the other night and I must say I enjoyed it more than a freshly made manhattan. I'm going to have to compare a fresh vs aged manhattan using the same ingredients and proportions.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by thezenone View Post
    I've started experimenting with bottle aging, as opposed to barrel aging, manhattans.
    I have started to do this as well. I'll make a 375ml or 750ml Old Fashioned or Manhattan and keep them in the fridge. I don't why it took me so long to think of it. It tastes great, it's less work, and I love taking them with a six pack to a party when its BYOB.