Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aged manhattans

Connoisseur

Re: Aged manhattans

had one last summer at The Girl & the Goat. (chef Stephanie Izard won Top Chef Season 4). The place is FANTASTIC.

The drink was good, as I recall

Here's the story. Like, how much is a "dash" of bitters on that scale.
    http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2011/...cocktails.html
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Khari View Post
    I've had it. It is quite good.
    They had a few bottles of the High West 36th vote Manhattan at the liquor barn for about $45. Picked one up and I must say it is a very impressive cocktail. Tried it with and without an undyed maraschino cherry. Worked quite well either way. Like any good cocktail, it gets better with each sip and has a really enjoyable complexity and finish. My fuzzy math puts it at about $2 to $3 per drink. Very dangerous thing to have in your fridge (particularly for your wallet).

Kudos to High West.

Joel Evans

If you build a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Virtuoso

Joel,
    love your signature...

I picked up some High West barreled Manhattans last night and I don't think the bottle will last long.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    I have one in a 1 liter barrel that has been aging about 2 months now. The barrel was previously used for a wheated bourbon. I wasn't planning on pulling it until early summer.
    I was just curious. Where did you acquire the barrel? I'm kind of new to bourbon and the idea of mixing and ageing my own concoction intrigues me.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I'm definitely with bottle-aging. Examples I've had from wooden barrels tend to show oxidized flavors, especially to the vermouth component, which is not my thing although I know some people enjoy the taste. It reminds me of certain barrel-aged beers I've had.

Gary

Connoisseur

I've been researching this and I'm very interested in giving it a try with some of my favorites Negronis, Manhattans, Boulevardiers.

However, I'm worried about the vermouth spoiling. Wouldn't this be an issue? Or does the higher alcohol content prevent this?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Well, the overall-higher ABV will certainly help keep it for some time, in bottle or cask (and maybe the alcohol is getting stronger in wood, too).

I like doing it because the flavours mature and meld in a way different from fresh-made drinks; yet I know people and some experts who feel a cocktail is only worth its salt if made on the spot. As always, different strokes...

Gary