Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How quitting my bourbon hobby made me love it even more

Bourbon has been a cornerstone of my night for years now, when I finally get to sit down and relax in front of the tv for a few minutes and I still love that time of night, let me clarify that first-off. That being said, my wife gave birth 10 weeks ago and she's been out of work per her doctor's orders since the first week of January. I am glad to be able to provide for my family by myself now, but I must admit I was a bit worried about my bourbon hobby. I've always been a lower-middle shelf drinker, usually any Wild Turkey expression, OGD BiB and 114, George Dickel, Four Roses and more but usually topping out at Blanton's. I also have always loved trying anything new, even if I've heard it was underwhelming and that's what I didn't want to give up. So I did what any sensible bourbon drinker would do and I bunkered up on WT101, any Weller I could find, and my new right-hand man, Evan Williams. $15 for a handle of that and I'm golden. It isn't too complex but it's great on ice in this desert weather of mine, great in coke and it even goes down well neat. The WT101 is $30 for a handle and Wellers are all around $20 for a 750. What's the point of all this? Well, after the few months have gone by, my tastes have changed and I don't even reach for the ~25 open bottles of "better" stuff like Blanton's or Rowan's Creek or Four Roses. I reach for that EWB or Turkey almost every night and Weller less frequently and I feel liberated. That's not to put down you true aficionados, not at all, but I believe I was made to enjoy the cheaper stuff. Cheers to all the budget bourbon warriors and please share a story or two with me about maybe how you had to quit the pricier stuff or if you never liked it much to begin with

Connoisseur

Re: How quitting my bourbon hobby made me love it even more

Amen... love my EWB $15 handles and reach for that more often than anything else. Also have a handle of WT101 on hand at the moment as well, along with a handle of BT. Used to always have Weller in the cabinet at $18 per 750ml.... but that's no longer in stock here for the last year+.

Anyway... fully agree with your rant. I live off the value pours, treat myself to the fancier stuff when the mood strikes me... but they never seem to be good enough to draw me away from EWB and a couple mid shelfers for variety.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Advanced Taster

Any differences between EW and Ezra Brooks? I just bought a 750 of EB for 9.99 on sale. Still searching thru the value pours for no-nonsense nights. While shopping I noticed the handles of EWB are on sale at 21.99. May have to try both as value pours.

Disciple

Amen . Love my AAA, EWBIB, OGDBIB, OGD114, and 4RYL

Virtuoso

Congrats on the baby dude.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Connoisseur

Hey, a great many of us don't drink "only" the "finest Bourbon D" (to quote Bob Seger) every pour.
    Lots of the folks, on 'the board' and off, drink lesser cost drams on a pretty regular basis. Me for sure!
    And, I will further state that I enjoy every drop.
    The satisfaction of knowing that very near the same quality is there, even at pretty reasonable prices, is one of the reasons I get to feel 'superior in every way' to some of the snobs (not many on this board, thank goodness) that only pour Pappy 23, or whatever unicorn they fancy will impress the less discerning folks out there. Not having to impress those fools: Priceless.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jmj_203 View Post
    Any differences between EW and Ezra Brooks? I just bought a 750 of EB for 9.99 on sale. Still searching thru the value pours for no-nonsense nights. While shopping I noticed the handles of EWB are on sale at 21.99. May have to try both as value pours.
    I like EB better than EW Black (for one thing, it's 90 proof) but neither as much as EW BIB or 1783. Old Ezra 101 is a noticeably better step up from EB Black.Used to love AAA 10YO (down to my last handle and "saving" it) but find the other AAA iterations really pale in comparison. OGD is reliable, cheap, and readily available. There are lots of attractive options under $25.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Enthusiast

CW, I'm right there with you on the desire to try "new" things, because you just never know what might tickle your personal fancy. Luckily, there's plenty of great pours in the under $30 range.
    I'd never tried OGD114 until a couple of months ago, and it's one of my current favorites at any price.
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    Hey, a great many of us don't drink "only" the "finest Bourbon D" (to quote Bob Seger) every pour.
    Lots of the folks, on 'the board' and off, drink lesser cost drams on a pretty regular basis. Me for sure!
    And, I will further state that I enjoy every drop.
    The satisfaction of knowing that very near the same quality is there, even at pretty reasonable prices, is one of the reasons I get to feel 'superior in every way' to some of the snobs (not many on this board, thank goodness) that only pour Pappy 23, or whatever unicorn they fancy will impress the less discerning folks out there. Not having to impress those fools: Priceless.
    Pappy 23 and ginger ale are excellent, and I take my unicorns over ice...
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    OGD is reliable, cheap, and readily available.
    Also shows well in blind tastings.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.