Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Bottled in Bond's

Hey guys, I sort of looked thru the archives for something about this but really did not see a "list of available BIB's",so.. I thought since I really enjoy them and would like to get my hands on all. What's available out there? If it's out there somewhere and I missed it,sorry for bringing it up again.Here's what I know of:

OHH
    J.T.S. Brown
    T.W.Samuels
    VOB
    OGD
    OF
    EW
    J.W.Dant
    CE.H.T SB

What else?
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Guru

Re: Bottled in Bond's

We have a number of 100 proof Bourbons that would qualify as Bottled in Bond, Old forester Signature and Birthday Bourbon, Knob Creek and Rock Hill Farms come to mind, I'm sure there are others. New think in the industry seems to believe the term is a bit old fashioned and no longer understood by consumers.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

I kinda like the class of BIB's and hope the label doesnt drop off. They usually offer great bang for the buck, and its kinda fun to compare them against each other.

KCSB might technically be a BIB since its a single barrel, therefore it has to meet the requirements. But, with regular KC being multi batch pours, might it not meet some of the requirements?

Advanced Taster

Mellow Corn and Rittenhouse if you want to expand to non-bourbon.
    Rye whiskey makes the sun set faster.

Enthusiast

Forgot Henry Mckenna!
    Everyday my spirit seems to find its way to the bottom of a glass...... Don

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    We have a number of 100 proof Bourbons that would qualify as Bottled in Bond, Old forester Signature and Birthday Bourbon, Knob Creek and Rock Hill Farms come to mind, I'm sure there are others. New think in the industry seems to believe the term is a bit old fashioned and no longer understood by consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    I kinda like the class of BIB's and hope the label doesnt drop off. They usually offer great bang for the buck, and its kinda fun to compare them against each other.

KCSB might technically be a BIB since its a single barrel, therefore it has to meet the requirements. But, with regular KC being multi batch pours, might it not meet some of the requirements?
    What the heck is a 'multi batch pour'?

By definition, a NAS or > 4 year old single barrel bourbon bottled at 100 proof is BiB. So RHF and FRSB are BiB even though they are not labeled as such.

I think the BiB labeling being old fashioned excuse is bunk. Old Forester Signature could contain bourbon from multiple distilling seasons which would DQ it from BiB status. I can't believe that BF removed the BiB designation and added Signature just because it seemed old fashioned or misunderstood by consumers...the brand has old in the name for goodness sake. Dropping BiB gives them flexibility...that's my take.
    Last edited by callmeox; 02-23-2014 at 17:34. Reason: Factual error
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by dSculptor View Post
    Forgot Henry Mckenna!
    Amen. Two in the "remainder bin" now sit on my shelf.

Guru

I don't buy that explanation either Scott. Losing the statement allows them to mix whiskys from different years and so increase their flexibility.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

Dropping the labeling provides flexibility and reduces cost and storage issues. I believe barrels used for BIBs have to be stored separate from other inventory (bonded warehouse) and you have to pay for the certification. Given that these are typically less expensive plans (more historical than planned), these costs may not seem like much but they are real, especially when you have the flexibility to divert these brands to more profitable products.

As for other bottled in bonds, both the CEHT Small Batch and Single Barrel are BIBs. I believe only one was noted above.

I also believe David Nicholson 1843 is BIB and, while not bourbon, Rittenhouse Rye and Mellow Corn are also BIB.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    What the heck is a 'multi batch pour'?

By definition, a NAS or > 4 year old single barrel bourbon bottled at 100 proof is BiB. So KCSB, RHF, FRSB are all BiB even though they are not labeled as such.
    sorry, poor wording on my part. i meant multiple barrels. KCSB would have to be a BIB. KC, on the other hand, could technically have some 10yr mixed into it to keep a certain profile, which would negate the single season requirement.