Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Another Age Statement Bites the Dust (And More Recent COLA Findings)

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    Did anyone notice the Elijah Craig 12 indicates it was 132 proof/66%? I think I would buy one of those.
    put me down for a case.

Looks like we might also be seeing an Elijah Craig Single Barrel 21 year, 22 year, and 23 year. My guess is that these will all be distillery releases.

There were are also a couple more new labels submitted by Buffalo Trace (like this), but none are particularly exciting. Is there a chance that BT is bottling for other companies? I'm just trying to think of reasons why we've seen so many new 90 proof labels on COLA coming out of there.

Trippah and Admin

Clear Springs is a DBA that was transferred from Beam to Buffalo Trace back in 2011. It appears that they're now using it as the labeled distillery for house branded bottlings for large retailers (like Costco).

The DBA may have been a part of the Old Taylor name acquisition by BT, to aid in the disposal of the barrels of Beam distilled Taylor that were included in the transaction.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

Mat stated in a previous thread that the proof on the COLA is not an indication of what the proof of the release is. The proof can be changed without needing to create a new whole new label.

In other words, I would not hold my breath for a new barrel proof EC 12 general release, as really frickin awesome as that might be.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Mat stated in a previous thread that the proof on the COLA is not an indication of what the proof of the release is. The proof can be changed without needing to create a new whole new label.

In other words, I would not hold my breath for a new barrel proof EC 12 general release, as really frickin awesome as that might be.
    A barrel proof EC 12 was confirmed by Heaven Hill on their Facebook page. It will be sold at the distillery.

Heaven Hill: "there will be two versions [of EC 12], the barrel strength ones are a series of barrels from our barrel program, which will be exclusive to the Heritage Center."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    A barrel proof EC 12 was confirmed by Heaven Hill on their Facebook page. It will be sold at the distillery.

Heaven Hill: "there will be two versions [of EC 12], the barrel strength ones are a series of barrels from our barrel program, which will be exclusive to the Heritage Center."
    Exactly. Not a general release.

Glad something like that is being offered at all though. Hopefully they will do some barrel proof releases to retailers too.

And which FB page was that information on? I can't find it on the BHC site or any of the others.

UPDATE: Found it buried in the comments under the announcement re: EC 18. Good find.
    Last edited by Josh; 04-25-2012 at 09:12.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

Perhaps I'm remembering the thread wrong, but I thought what was said was that the proof could be greater than what was on the label, but not less. Hence why all KCSB label's state 120 proof despite some retailer bottles being in the 130s.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Jwilly019 View Post
    Perhaps I'm remembering the thread wrong, but I thought what was said was that the proof could be greater than what was on the label, but not less. Hence why all KCSB label's state 120 proof despite some retailer bottles being in the 130s.
    Nope... You are remembering it wrong and adding a "rule" that wasn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    When the COLA is approved, the TTB allows you to use the same permit for your label...provided the only thing that changes is the alcoholic content. In other words, the 132 is an arbitrary number, and probably doesn't reflect what the final product will be.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    Nope... You are remembering it wrong and adding a "rule" that wasn't there.
    Correct you (and Josh) are. My apologies for the misinformation.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Jwilly019 View Post
    Correct you (and Josh) are. My apologies for the misinformation.
    Apologies aren't necessary. We all have each others backs. Blame it on Bourbon Deficiency Disorder and pour yourself another glass. Cheers!