Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Another Age Statement Bites the Dust (And More Recent COLA Findings)

Old Tub was, as I understand it, a Beam family brand that was quite successful throughout the second half of the nineteenth century. It was the flagship label when James B. Beam took over, anyway. So I would guess that it would be the standard recipe, but who knows what profile they would go for. I'd bet it's better than the white label just based on the proof alone, and given the heritage of the brand they're not going to fill it with swill.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Old Tub was, as I understand it, a Beam family brand that was quite successful throughout the second half of the nineteenth century. It was the flagship label when James B. Beam took over, anyway. So I would guess that it would be the standard recipe, but who knows what profile they would go for. I'd bet it's better than the white label just based on the proof alone, and given the heritage of the brand they're not going to fill it with swill.
    I don't know, the name Old Tub does not exactly inspire premium images... I see a dirty miner scrubbing soot off himself with a brush in a wooden tub. Either that or a fat old man two deep coughs away from stroking out.

Regardless, it's a much better direction to go in than more Red Stag flavors.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I see a dirty miner scrubbing soot off himself with a brush in a wooden tub. Either that or a fat old man two deep coughs away from stroking out.
    was that Pappy Van Winkle or George T. Stagg?

Guru

Reminds me of the story Chuck (I think) told about when UDV guys approached Ed Foote about creating a new whiskey named in his honor. His reply was "Nobody's going to buy something called 'Very Old Foote'"
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I'm tentatively excited, if that's possible, about "Larceny." The gist of the story is on the back label. For years, John E. Fitzgerald was portrayed as a distiller until Sally Van Winkle Campbell, Pappy's granddaughter (Julian's sister), revealed the real story in her Stitzel-Weller history, But Always Fine Bourbon.

Heaven Hill has been working on this for a long time and even label approval doesn't necessarily mean it's happening or is imminent. Heaven Hill has been making wheated bourbon at Bernheim since 1999. Some people don't like the Old Fitz iterations that HH has put out, but most thought the Parker's Heritage 10-year-old version was great.

Other than the Parker's, Heaven Hill has done little with Fitz since it bought the brand, so they've certainly had time to do it right. I sure hope they did.

It isn't always this obvious, but the bourbon makers look to the Scots for ideas. This is in line with a trend among both single malts and blends, the small batch NAS product with a fanciful name. Theirs are usually in Gaelic, but other than that it's the same idea. The label doesn't give any indication of any special product characteristics. In addition to no age, it won't have a finish either since none is disclosed on the label.

I'll be interested to see if they come up with any product attribute story. They should. It will surely have a premium price and there needs to be a reason to buy it beyond the cute name. They are, I suppose, making a 'honey barrel' claim. Maybe that's enough.

"Whiskey That's Good Enough To Steal."

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    It isn't always this obvious, but the bourbon makers look to the Scots for ideas. This is in line with a trend among both single malts and blends, the small batch NAS product with a fanciful name. Theirs are usually in Gaelic, but other than that it's the same idea. The label doesn't give any indication of any special product characteristics. In addition to no age, it won't have a finish either since none is disclosed on the label.
    Double Black --> Double Oaked

I also see a parallel between Old Grand Dad with the new Basil Hayden's and now we have Old Fitz with the new John E. Fitzgerald Larceny.
    Last edited by Lazer; 06-10-2012 at 12:02.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Our friends at Buffalo Trace have asked me to tell you that Jeffers Creek and Black Ridge will use whiskey from Bardstown's Barton 1792 Distillery, not from Buffalo Trace. No Buffalo Trace inventory has been harmed in the making of these new products.

Enthusiast

. No Buffalo Trace inventory has been harmed in the making of these new products.

Ha ha. That's a good one.

Disciple

Our friends at Buffalo Trace have asked me to tell you that Jeffers Creek and Black Ridge will use whiskey from Bardstown's Barton 1792 Distillery, not from Buffalo Trace. No Buffalo Trace inventory has been harmed in the making of these new products.
    While I appreciate them passing this on, why not simply put it on the label?? Would that be so difficult?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    While I appreciate them passing this on, why not simply put it on the label?? Would that be so difficult?
    Kind of defeats the purposes of creating the private label if they do that , doesn't it?