Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Dusty Find: Drink now or hold for special occasion

I found a 1 liter dusty bottle of Ancient Age, 86 proof. It's got that tab over the top, which I've learned from this message board that its an old bottle. So my question is this: Is this a "save for a special occasion" bottle or is it a rather pedestrian dusty bottle than I should sip whenever?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Dusty Find: Drink now or hold for special occasion

It's good. Go ahead and open it. Have a pour or two now, and you can save the rest for a special occasion. Problem solved. Enjoy.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by keith18 View Post
    I found a 1 liter dusty bottle of Ancient Age, 86 proof. It's got that tab over the top, which I've learned from this message board that its an old bottle. So my question is this: Is this a "save for a special occasion" bottle or is it a rather pedestrian dusty bottle than I should sip whenever?
    Did you get that on 7th and S? I got one there that looked identical, down to the faded label.

Ancient Age, despite the name, is only aged for a few years, so it's not going to be a thrill ride for your taste buds. Then again, the vast majority of dusties are pretty uncomplicated but highly drinkable. If you haven't had many dusties, PM me and I can share a few.

Enthusiast

I'd put it in the line and get to it when it is its turn. Otherwise you'll probably hold onto it for a special occasion which may never come.

Disciple

I'd drink now (or as mentioned, in the next turn). AA isn't rare enough to save for a truly special occasion, but even the bottom-shelfers from the tax-strip era have flavors and richness that are different from most of today's product.

Give it a try and see if that "dusty profile" is to your liking (and if so -- look out!)
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Taster

That's where I got it--was in the neighborhood and stopped by. He still has one left...

Connoisseur

I always try my dusties, you've got to quality check. Why hold onto something that could be crap, just because it's old. And why hold onto something that could be spectacular just for a special occasion, to find out it's crap on that special occasion.

Now if you try it, and find it's good, then you put it on your future dusty hunt list.

That's my philosophy, keeps me from storing a bunch of un-tried bourbons.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by keith18 View Post
    That's where I got it--was in the neighborhood and stopped by. He still has one left...
    He's lightened up a lot in the past few months... He wouldn't sell to me (or anyone) until I typed up a complaint letter to the LCB.

Still any of the Old Foresters or Ten Highs left?

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    He's lightened up a lot in the past few months... He wouldn't sell to me (or anyone) until I typed up a complaint letter to the LCB.

Still any of the Old Foresters or Ten Highs left?
    Two of my faves. You say he has some other things, too? Exactly where is this store? I'm going to be in DC on Monday on business, and will definitely stop in.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Two of my faves. You say he has some other things, too? Exactly where is this store? I'm going to be in DC on Monday on business, and will definitely stop in.
    Well, I bought a few things like a SW Old Fitz BiB that I don't think he had any more of, but I left some Old Charters and the ones already mentioned. I don't know, at the time I didn't know as much about dusties, so I could have missed several labels.