Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Weller Reserve With Age Statement

Sorry if this has been brought up before, i couldnt find it in a search. When I was at my old haunt today I happen to notice some rather large bottles of Weller Reserve that say 7 yrs. They are the new label and bottle design, but I think they are a liter in size. I didnt think it came in liter sizes.

Is this an older bottling before the complete removal of the age statement? Are they worth getting because its a guarenteed 7 yr product?
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Virtuoso

Re: Weller Reserve With Age Statement

If it has an age statement, then yes it is a bottling from before they removed the age statement.

They changed the label from paper in around '09 and now they've removed the age statement, but unless it says Louisville, I wouldn't be much inclined to take notice.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Right, that's what's weird about it. It's not a papr label, it's platic and identical to the current relase bottle...excpet it's a slightly bigger bottle. The neck has a sticker that should just say 90 proof. The 750 ml and the 1.75ml all say 90 proof. Then there is this odd ball that says 7yrs.

Maybe there was a small batch of liter sized WR where it was a 7 yr product.

Virtuoso

Liters tend to not sell as well as 750ml or 1.75L. I've noticed this in my dusty adventures as I've acquired quite a few old Wellers in 1L size. However, the new bottle style WSR isn't anything particularly special unless you have a taste for BT wheaters at 90p.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    Liters tend to not sell as well as 750ml or 1.75L. I've noticed this in my dusty adventures as I've acquired quite a few old Wellers in 1L size. However, the new bottle style WSR isn't anything particularly special unless you have a taste for BT wheaters at 90p.
    Sadly the WSR is nothing like it was years back.... lots of old 1.75's were to be found in DC just a short time back that were amazing!!!
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

I agree with StraightNoChaser about it probably being because the Liter size doesn't sell as well. Had a similar situation with Jim Beam Black recently where the 750 and handle were both current, but the one liter bottles were actually from around 97-99.

Connoisseur

Weird, so they use the age statement to increase the sales of an undesirable size.

I am beginning to think I will never understand distillery business practices.

Trippah and Admin

No, they are leftover liters from when Weller SR was age stated....like last year.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    Weird, so they use the age statement to increase the sales of an undesirable size.

I am beginning to think I will never understand distillery business practices.
    I don't mean to presume, but I think what Jay meant was that the age stated 1L WSR is simply older product left over from the age stated days of WSR. Not a current product given an age statement in order to increase sales.

Edit: callmeox beat me to it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Next time you're in a bar, look at the bottles on the back bar. Most will be liters. Bars have historically preferred the liter size, and the quart size before that. Most stores don't stock liters but some do. When you see liters in a retail store, it may be because small bars with credit problems are buying their spirits at retail, which they're not supposed to do in most states, but it happens. As Callmeox said, what you found are just older bottles, produced before the age statement was discontinued. Nothing weird, mysterious or sneaky about it.