Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Weller Reserve With Age Statement

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Next time you're in a bar, look at the bottles on the back bar. Most will be liters. Bars have historically preferred the liter size, and the quart size before that. Most stores don't stock liters but some do. When you see liters in a retail store, it may be because small bars with credit problems are buying their spirits at retail, which they're not supposed to do in most states, but it happens. As Callmeox said, what you found are just older bottles, produced before the age statement was discontinued. Nothing weird, mysterious or sneaky about it.
    Not to drift the thread much further-- but around the Twin Cities, BiBs seem to be in liters pretty exclusively. I occasionally see other products in liters but not often.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Sadly the WSR is nothing like it was years back.... lots of old 1.75's were to be found in DC just a short time back that were amazing!!!
    Luckily, there were still some in DC two months ago when I was hunting with another SB.com member. I like it but it won't make me a wheater fan. Maybe for the price it's great.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Sadly the WSR is nothing like it was years back.... lots of old 1.75's were to be found in DC just a short time back that were amazing!!!
    You're the one!!!!!
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Next time you're in a bar, look at the bottles on the back bar. Most will be liters. Bars have historically preferred the liter size, and the quart size before that. Most stores don't stock liters but some do. When you see liters in a retail store, it may be because small bars with credit problems are buying their spirits at retail, which they're not supposed to do in most states, but it happens. As Callmeox said, what you found are just older bottles, produced before the age statement was discontinued. Nothing weird, mysterious or sneaky about it.
    Any chance that the juice within is a higher grade than the standard?
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    Any chance that the juice within is a higher grade than the standard?
    Certainly npt becaise it is a liter bottle. Since it is in a bottle with the new label, if you xonsider what was released before the past couple of months (since WSR went NAS) "superior, then yes... But I suspect that you will find little to no difference.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

When an age statement goes away, my assumption is that the product won't change immediately but, in time, they will start to mix in some whiskey younger than the old age statement would allow, else why would they drop it? But, in reality, all you can say for sure about an age-stated bottle is that nothing in the bottle is younger than the stated age. That doesn't necessarily mean it's good or better than the NAS bottle.

Connoisseur

I have noticed that 1L bottles of bourbon seem fairly common in KY, but rare in IN. When I think about it, all the liters in my collection were purchased outside IN.

Advanced Taster

Man, the things you learn here. The only place that I really frequent still stocks WSR fifths with a 7 year age statement at what I think is a reasonable/normal price (14-17$) I didn't even know to appreciate it.

So, I realize we have hashed out the uncertainty of lower quality with a dropped age statement, but I have to ask: should I, a poor college student, buy some up some of the 7 year juice now? If somebody put a gun to your head, would you answer yes or no?
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Trippah and Admin

I would buy one and, if I liked it, would then buy others.

Don't get hung up on the age statement. Many here thought that Old Weller Antique improved when it went NAS.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Advanced Taster

To be clear, I have had it and enjoyed it. Bang for buck, it's good. After two weeks in the bottle, it's good price notwithstanding.

But no special hurry or rush on the 7 year stuff? We can maybe reasonably expect that the NAS stuff will not be basically very different?
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut