Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Trippah and Admin

Re: Weller Reserve With Age Statement

If you like it, buy it. No guarantee that you will like the NAS.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Advanced Taster

Thanks - Good to know.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

You have to figure WSR isn't going to get better because it went NAS.

Advanced Taster

Yeah good call.

The question really was whether or not I should response with "Oh NO! It is probably going to be MUCH worse and I should act immediately" or with "Meh; it may be a little bit worse, but nothing to get worked up over". Unfortunately, you guys refused to tell me what to do and put the onus of risk and judgment on me.

If it's not your job to do my thinking for me, then I don't know what it is, dammit! Isn't that why you're into bourbon in the first place?!?
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Connoisseur

I like aged spirits. Seeing an age statement does seem to influence my decision. Even though I understand that age doesnt always denote quality, I have found more pleasure in older bourbons. Wheated recipies just seem to take longer to age than rye based bourbons. I would go as far to say a minimum of 10yrs and an average of 12 - 15 yrs for the best results. For rye it's around 9 yrs. Therefore, to see an age statement of 7yrs on a wheater gives the idea that itis at least 7 yrs, versus no age statement meaning it could be 4 yrs old. A 4yr old whiskey shouldnt cost more than a 7yr old...yet the price on a NAS product remains the same.

Just my two measures on the subject.
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It's like any other information, assuming it's factual and reliable. The more information you have, the easier it is to make a judgment. What I think the companie forget is that if I know I tend to like, for example, bourbon that is more than 6 years old, I will look for age statements that give me that information, and probably ignore all NAS bottles unless I'm already familiar with them.

In fact, I think the companies know this. They've just decided, for cost reasons, to set the bar for age statements a little higher, above 8 years, for example. But if American whiskey makers have decided they can't risk age statements at any level, then I think they're making a mistake. In the scotch segment we're seeing more age statements, not fewer.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    You have to figure WSR isn't going to get better because it went NAS.
    Quite the opposite.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

This is just thinking off the top of my head here. I normally like AS bourbon but one advantage I could see to NAS is it gives them more barrels to chose from to get the best flavor profile. If your locked in at 7 yrs and this barrel has peaked at 6 what do you do? Just a thought as I was reading along.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    This is just thinking off the top of my head here. I normally like AS bourbon but one advantage I could see to NAS is it gives them more barrels to chose from to get the best flavor profile. If your locked in at 7 yrs and this barrel has peaked at 6 what do you do? Just a thought as I was reading along.
    This is why Four Roses doesn't use age statements. But i doubt it is why weller is dropping them.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    That would be ideal, but has the history of lost age statements proven that distilleries follow that plan? I don't have a lot of experience with comparing, but reading about others' experiences seems to indicate a drop in quality with the loss of age statements.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay