Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Connoisseur

Re: Weller Reserve With Age Statement

Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    This is just thinking off the top of my head here. I normally like AS bourbon but one advantage I could see to NAS is it gives them more barrels to chose from to get the best flavor profile. If your locked in at 7 yrs and this barrel has peaked at 6 what do you do? Just a thought as I was reading along.
    This is a valid argument, and one that (initially at least) seemed to held true for OWA, as I have seen many comments when it first went NAS that it was as good if not better than the last year or so of the age stated bottles.

The question of course is whether or not that remains the case in the long term, which if history is a good indicator, does not seem to be the case.
    Last edited by JayMonster; 04-23-2012 at 08:05.

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    This is a valid argument, and one that (initially at least) seemed to held true for OWA, as I have seen many comments when it first went NAS that it was as good if not better than the last year or so of the age stated bottles.

The question of course is whether or not that remains the case in the long term, which if history is a good indicator, does not seem to be the case.
    I think the reasoning being there is when it was AS 7 year old the youngest whiskey in the bottle could only be 7 yrs old. Now that it goes NAS they can slip in some younger cherry barrels but it's still basically the same stuff. But as time goes by the barrels and the whiskey get younger and younger. That is the distilleries being cheap .
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post

I'm also not convinced that when OWA went NAS it ever dropped below 7 yrs as it came from the same dump as the WSR that was 7 yr AS. I think it may have now that WSR has gone NAS.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.