Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Advanced Taster

Re: Rye and aeration

Nicely done, BB!
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    That leaves us with option four
    It requires a trip to the local store.
    Buy some marbles made of glass,
    Whiskey is fading, hustle your (rear)
    Put into the bottle, displace the air
    Show your rye how much you care.
    Now enjoy When'ere you can,
    For the greedy, number four's the plan.

Are you saying you fart into your glass? I guess that's one way of keeping a consistent profile...

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by dbk View Post
    Nicely done, BB!
    Thanks, you set me up very well.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Are you saying you fart into your glass? I guess that's one way of keeping a consistent profile...
    Hopefully it's clear that the marbles go into the glass, although your interpretation is certainly interesting.

Advanced Taster

Hopefully it's clear that the marbles go into the glass, although your interpretation is certainly interesting.
    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...
    "Good" may be subjective, but that doesn't mean it's arbitrary.

Connoisseur

Heh heh, sorry, some juvenile idiot took over my mind for a minute Thanks for being a good sport!

Virtuoso

I posted this a couple years ago in the 'show stash' thread. I just recalculated how long the 30ml of Old Rip Van Winkle Old Time Rye must have sat in the bottle: at least 14 months. It was still surprisingly excellent after all that time.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...5&postcount=77
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LikeItWasSodaPop View Post
    Gotta chime in and say, yeah, especially w/r/t Saz 18 the drop off can be astounding...Dug out a 2010 Saz 18 after about 6 months with 1/3 left and it was gone baby gone, as in, "This rye whiskey has passed on! This rye is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! It's kicked the bucket, shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-RYE WHISKEY!!"

I think the real question that needs answering is whether this is a Saz 18 phenomenon or a old rye phenomenon.
    Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I finally got around to sampling my long-open bottle of Saz 18 as well and could not detect any drop off in overall quality. There may be a slight fade in spice, replaced by a bit more sweetness but don't hold me to that. Whatever the case may be, we thoroughly enjoyed our pours last night and will move on to a bottle of VWFRR that's now down to two inches after sitting for a long spell.
    Went back yet again last night to the Saz 18 and I truly can see no drop-off whatsoever in this bottle. (It is a Fall 2007 release which I opened in the summer of 2009, so it's been open nearly three years.) I thought I detected a slight fade in spice last time around, replaced by a touch more sweetness. But last night's pour was full of spice and had a nice long finish, so I don't know what to say about your bottle diminishing in quality.

I plan to open a new bottle of VWFRR this week and compare it side-by-side with my long-open bottle of VW to see if there's any significant difference. They are both "I" bottles purchased together several years ago and I'm curious to see what changes may have occurred in the one that's been open over two years.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet