Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Black Maple Hill 23

I am pretty new to the rye world. I have had the High West ryes and loved them! I just bought a bottle of Willett 4yr rye and it was excellent. I am now considering buying a bottle of BMH 23yr rye, and after searching all the "closed" threads (without too much insight), I want to hear the notes from some SB members who have this expression. So what say ye?

Connoisseur

Re: Black Maple Hill 23

I went ahead and bought it anyways. It seems to have been there a long while and i know my house is as good as any for it to reside . The bottle says 05 at the bottom edge. This bottle says it is from cask 9. I saw another bottle online thru a search that indicated it was from cask 9 as well. Not much info on this rye thru my search efforts besides a few reviews and a comparison. Now that the purchase is complete, i will be posting to the "what rye are you enjoying..." thread later

Enthusiast

Personally, I really like the BMH23. It comes from the same stocks that all the other extra aged ryes came from (probably Bernheim IMO). It has a good bit of wood influence on it but in a good way. There is a strong mustiness to it that I have come to really appreciate. It is thick, dark, and really full of flavor. You can't go wrong with it in my opinion.

The only thing better is the couple of barrel proof 23 year ryes from the same stock that are floating around out there somewhere.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    Personally, I really like the BMH23. It comes from the same stocks that all the other extra aged ryes came from (probably Bernheim IMO). It has a good bit of wood influence on it but in a good way. There is a strong mustiness to it that I have come to really appreciate. It is thick, dark, and really full of flavor. You can't go wrong with it in my opinion.

The only thing better is the couple of barrel proof 23 year ryes from the same stock that are floating around out there somewhere.
    Great....there are cask strength versions??? That would be great to meet up with one of those. Thanks for the notes!

Enthusiast

There were a few barrels of this rye that were bottled at cask strength between 22-24 years but they weren't sold under the BMH label. There was Willett, the Bitter Truth, LaNell's and Rathskeller. There may have been others. Those are the ones I have heard of.

Connoisseur

Wow, did not know that. I have enjoyed the Willett 4 yr CS rye. I am sure the chances are slim to run across one of those 22-24yr ryes here, but there is always a chance as confirmed by the BMH23 I came upon. Thanks!

Disciple

If I ever see a BMH 23 on a shelf again I'm diving for it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jtexaslonestar View Post
    Wow, did not know that. I have enjoyed the Willett 4 yr CS rye. I am sure the chances are slim to run across one of those 22-24yr ryes here, but there is always a chance as confirmed by the BMH23 I came upon. Thanks!
    Just curious, and not trying to thread hi-jack, but how would you compare Willett 4yr Rye to the following:

Rittenhouse Rye BIB 100
    Thomas H Handy Sazerac
    Wild Turkey 101 Rye

The Spec's where I am at has a ton of Willett 4yr Rye. I have been tempted but the young age statement keeps me from investing in it.
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    Just curious, and not trying to thread hi-jack, but how would you compare Willett 4yr Rye to the following:

Rittenhouse Rye BIB 100
    Thomas H Handy Sazerac
    Wild Turkey 101 Rye

The Spec's where I am at has a ton of Willett 4yr Rye. I have been tempted but the young age statement keeps me from investing in it.

I don't really think they compare at all. The Willett is the LDI 95% rye while the others are probably more in the 51%-60% range. I think the corn adds complexity and depth not found in the LDI rye. The LDI is interesting, but I prefer it as a mixer while I think the 3 you mentioned are pretty good on their own.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post

Rittenhouse Rye BIB 100
    Thomas H Handy Sazerac
    Wild Turkey 101 Rye

Dude, buy the Willett Rye. It's cask strength, and it's not like RittBIB and WT101 are any older than 4yrs. And Handy's only 6.5 and at least twice the price. And BradleyC's right about mixing with Willett. It makes one of the best Manhattans I've ever had.