Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Guru

Practical uses for Vodka

http://www.stylelist.com/chris-barne...ylelist-home/&

5 New Uses For Vodka
    Posted: 04/17/12 02:18 PM ET | Updated: 04/20/12 09:19 AM ET

What to do with those half empty bottles cluttering your space?

Goo Remover (tar, gum, use it when cleaning your car I guess..hose in one hand bottle in the next), Chrome "shiner" (hey now), Room Deodorizer (ah, the smell of gns), Bouquet Preserver (some for the flowers, some for me, some for the flowers...), Shower Cleaner (keep a non-breakable bottle of it in shower with you..what fun!).

Nobody would think to do this with whiskey.

Guru

Lightbulb Re: Practical uses for Vodka

Vodka is the perfect screen cleaner (talking about computer and television displays).

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

Re: Practical uses for Vodka

In theater and dance, some shows have costumes that get re-used for many, many years.

Costumes that are too delicate for laundering or dry-cleaning can get sprayed with 100-proof vodka to try and limit the skankiness without ending up with a strong rubbing alcohol smell wafting out into the first few rows of audience.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
    In theater and dance, some shows have costumes that get re-used for many, many years.

Costumes that are too delicate for laundering or dry-cleaning can get sprayed with 100-proof vodka to try and limit the skankiness without ending up with a strong rubbing alcohol smell wafting out into the first few rows of audience.
    Now that is fascinating info. I bet those clothes collections get pretty nasty after all of the sweat from the klieg lights and movement multiplied by show after show.

Guru

Ever have a dishrag that didn't get wrung out and hung up on the divider between the two halves of your kitchen sink? It gets that rotten meat smell. Just wring it out really good and dump some vodka on it. let it set a bit and wash it out.

I keep some vodka or everclear under the bathroom sink. Its good for disinfecting things like tweezers, needles and your oral thermometer, anything you would use rubbing alcohol for with the added benefit that its not methanol.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    Ever have a dishrag that didn't get wrung out and hung up on the divider between the two halves of your kitchen sink? It gets that rotten meat smell. Just wring it out really good and dump some vodka on it. let it set a bit and wash it out.

I keep some vodka or everclear under the bathroom sink. Its good for disinfecting things like tweezers, needles and your oral thermometer, anything you would use rubbing alcohol for with the added benefit that its not methanol.
    Rubbing alcohol is isopropanol, which isn't healthy but is a hell of a lot less toxic than methanol.

Guru

Question Re: Practical uses for Vodka

Denatured ethanol (often labeled, "SD alcohol" on products that contain it) is used in many cosmetic and other products and should be much cheaper than beverage alcohol. I wonder if it is available to the general public? Although in the amounts for most of the uses we are discussing, vodka is probably cheap enough.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

I use it to clean my tobacco pipes if I don't have Everclear close at hand. That's about all it's good for in my house.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Denatured ethanol (often labeled, "SD alcohol" on products that contain it) is used in many cosmetic and other products and should be much cheaper than beverage alcohol. I wonder if it is available to the general public? Although in the amounts for most of the uses we are discussing, vodka is probably cheap enough.Tim
    Denatured alcohol is available from just about any hardware or paint store or department. Costs about $7 a quart. It would be near any other solvent like turpentine or mineral spirits. It does contain methanol, specifically added to make it non-potable (that's what's meant by "denatured"), so vodka is probably a safer bet for anything that may come in contact with a mucus membrane. Any use in cosmetics would be in such small concentrations as to be safe, but straight, it's as potentially bad as he turpentine next to it.
    Last edited by oknazevad; 01-28-2013 at 17:32. Reason: Add price

Virtuoso

Do NOT spill Vodka........... or any other alcohol on any furniture with a Shellac finish. Alcohol is the solvent for Shellac.