Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: What cocktail are you enjoying Spring/Summer 2012?

A couple of my Summer favorites. Since the Manhattan and Mint Julep are covered I will add something a little different.

My Own Recipe: Bastardized from a restaurant that I frequent. (They used Hendricks Gin instead of the La Poire and serve as a Martini not a highball. It was a little too sweet for me and I drank them too quick so I kind of adapted it into this. You can also remove the soda water and mix this as a Martini with good results.

-Fill Highball Glass with ice
    -3oz Grey Goose La Poire (or any Pear Vodka)
    -1oz St Germain
    -Fill remaining space or to your liking with soda water add 2 lime wedges or a wedge of pear, if available, and enjoy the light and sweet goodness you have before you.

Perfect Margarita
    -3oz Don Julio anejo
    -.75oz Gran Marnier or St Germaine (2 very different flavors both with excellent results)
    -Squeeze in 1/3 of a lime drop in shaker with ice
    -shake
    -Serve in cocktail glass over ice.

Enjoy!!

Connoisseur

That's a stout margarita! I prefer the same amount of limes to tequila. For 3 oz I would do 2.5-3 limes, juiced. Not persian limes, but mexican key limes, which are smaller, thinner skinned, and taste totally different.

I get them at my local Mercado.

Tonight is a margarita night, but a little different than fresh squeezed as there is some old low calorie margarita mix in the fridge that needs to be drank. 6 oz mix, 3-4 oz tequila, 1-2 oz Patron Orange Liquor. Sonic style ice, and I can sit on the porch for a while and watch the girls as my wife mows the fields.....
    Last edited by Young Blacksmith; 05-17-2012 at 17:21.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Advanced Taster

lately it been a an Old Fashioned Turkey

3 part WT 101 Rye
    1 part American Honey
    few shakes of bitters over ice
    lemon twist would be nice if I wasn't too lazy to get one

Enthusiast

I've thrown a Vieux Carre in the rotation from time to time. 1 part each rye, cognac, and sweet vermouth, dash each peychauds and angostura, half part Benedictine; shake and strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with a lemon twist. Nice drink with a lot going on.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7 View Post
    I've thrown a Vieux Carre in the rotation from time to time. 1 part each rye, cognac, and sweet vermouth, dash each peychauds and angostura, half part Benedictine; shake and strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with a lemon twist. Nice drink with a lot going on.
    Very nice cocktail. I discovered this over the Christmas Holiday. Have enjoyed several, since. Plus, I like saying it with a thick accent...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Which rye? What's the mixing congnac you're using?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
    Which rye? What's the mixing congnac you're using?
    Rittenhouse is my standard keep-around rye, but i'm going to start experimenting; I've been using Raynal VSOP- it's a decent quality low end mixing cognac. Vermouth is Dolin, and I've used Antica to good results as well.

Virtuoso

Barrelled aged Manhattan's seem to be my cocktail of choice ... at least at this moment!! Always good, the barrel adds a nice softness and complexity and best of all they are already made!!!
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Barrelled aged Manhattan's seem to be my cocktail of choice ... at least at this moment!! Always good, the barrel adds a nice softness and complexity and best of all they are already made!!!
    yeah Reid, you rubbed off on me...although my barrel is due for a refill. they are the perfect solution to that "it's been a hectic day and I still have two meetings left, but it's 5 o'clock so what the hell" problem....run downstairs, drain a little of the barrel, and back upstairs to work.

Connoisseur

A great cocktail indeed. Invented at the Hotel Monteleone in New Orleans in the 1930s to honor the demographic composition of the neighborhood at the time -- American whiskey, Italian vermouth, and French Cognac. There is still no better place to get one than at the Monteleone's Carousel bar.