Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: What cocktail are you enjoying Spring/Summer 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blacksmith View Post
    That's a stout margarita! I prefer the same amount of limes to tequila. For 3 oz I would do 2.5-3 limes, juiced. Not persian limes, but mexican key limes, which are smaller, thinner skinned, and taste totally different.

I get them at my local Mercado.
    It is stout but, man is it good. I had a buddy say the same thing. I told him "Hey you know me I'm f-ed up". Most people don't enjoy the taste of alcohol and add things like daquiri and margarita mix to mask or hide the taste of the alcohol. Where as I enjoy the taste and look for things to compliment the flavor of the alcohol not to hide it.

BTW I have implemented a 3 drink cap on these. Not many good things happen after 10oz of Tequila, trust me on that. :-)

I hear you on the limes. They make all the difference. Whenever I go to FL or down south the limes there are so much better I wish we could get the good stuff up here but, it is all the cheap imports and greenhouse variety. But, I know what you are talking about and those set the drink on another level.

Connoisseur

hehe, 10 oz of Tequila is a good cap. I had those two margaritas last night and had a hard time getting moving this morning..... I'm a Tequila Light weight...
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Virtuoso

Vodka martini with Rain vodka and Mezzetta garlic stuffed queen olives!

Guru

Cool Re: What cocktail are you enjoying Spring/Summer 2012?

Last evening before dinner, I had a Bourbon Rickey. Just bourbon, fresh squeezed lime (with the lime slice dropped into the glass after squeezing), club soda, and ice cubes. Very refreshing on a hot afternoon.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Last evening before dinner, I had a Bourbon Rickey. Just bourbon, fresh squeezed lime (with the lime slice dropped into the glass after squeezing), club soda, and ice cubes. Very refreshing on a hot afternoon.

Tim
    Now that sounds like a great drink on a hot, humid afternoon...
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Advanced Taster

I wasn't sure exactly where to put this question, so I will put it here. Does vermouth (sweet or dry) go bad if refrigerated and if so, about how long will a bottle last before this happens?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cbus View Post
    I wasn't sure exactly where to put this question, so I will put it here. Does vermouth (sweet or dry) go bad if refrigerated and if so, about how long will a bottle last before this happens?
    I've always understood that it will go bad if it's NOT refrigerated.

I refrigerate, and usually go through about a bottle of each Noilly Prat (one dry, one red) every two months. I've never noticed a drop in quality.

Sometimes I'll accidentally leave the bottle out for a while (few hours, even overnight), and it's fine. Not ideal, but fine.

I recently opened a bottle of Carpano Antica, and I've been religiously sealing and vacuuming it after each use.

I picked up on the "Southside Punch" at a bar in SF. It's kind of like a mojito made with gin.

3oz gin
    1oz simple syrup
    3/4 oz lemon juice
    Shake with ice and some mint leaves

Pour into a highball glass with the ice, top with club soda and garnish with a mint sprig.

Virtuoso

Hard to beat a few Bourbon / Rye and gingers especially if you have Blenheim red cap on hand
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Hard to beat a few Bourbon / Rye and gingers especially if you have Blenheim red cap on hand
    Exactly what I'm having. The Blenheim red cap makes it. Perfect on a hot day. I add a lime wedge and a few dashes of orange bitters.