Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: High West Campfire

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    As I'm sure you know Gary it can be a delicate balance. I first tasted this at 100 proof and didn't care for it at all but David kept working the proof and found a sweet spot. Sometimes you get close on the first try but it needs tweaking.
    Steve, I also tried this at 100pf when I was in Boston and at that time felt the components were better than the final product. I will be interested in trying the final product given that folks seem to like it....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

Drinkhacker has a review of Lot 1 (preview bottling, 92 proof) and rates it an A-.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Taster

I think this is a fascinating blend that any whiskey geek should try - what I find most intriguing is that you can spot each of the components as they weave in and out, it doesn't become a jumbled mess but more of a shape shifter where you catch glimpses of each of the components.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by biskuit View Post
    I think this is a fascinating blend that any whiskey geek should try - what I find most intriguing is that you can spot each of the components as they weave in and out, it doesn't become a jumbled mess but more of a shape shifter where you catch glimpses of each of the components.
    Great description and spot on.

Guru

I would love to try it . . . as soon as I can find it! I've been calling a couple shops every Friday on my way home, and no luck thus far. Does anyone know when this might be distributed (specifically in Georgia)? Most of the reviews I've read were courtesy of High West sending them a taste. Which - by the way - if High West would like my opinion, I'll gladly write some stuff up if they send it to me!!!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Finally got a bottle and can't wait to crack it open tonight.

Guru

After pour no. 1 this is indeed a pretty spot on review. To me the rye and scotch are the stars here, always upfront vying for the spotlight, with the sweetness of the bourbon doing its thing in the background. It's delicious, different, and yes, fun.

Connoisseur

That's what I like about the Bourye. I'm looking forward to trying this.

Connoisseur
    I had high hopes for this one and recently had a pour in Bardstown thanks to Tom.

Overall....I wasn't impressed.

I can appreciate the uniqueness of it and that's about it. It was bizarre and off to my palate. A case where the sum of the parts weren't better than the parts themselves.....if that makes any sense. Like an experiment that just didn't quite work. Almost like placing a circle inside a square and calling it a good fit. I'm struggling to describe this in words but hopefully I'm not too far off.

Balcones is another craft distiller whom I appreciate for trying new things, pushing the envelope, and testing our ideas and notions on whiskey and what it should be. But just because it's unique and different doesn't mean it's worth bottling. Brimstone, IMHO, is a perfect example of uniqueness and success....such a difficult thing to accomplish, one that Buffalo Trace and Bruichladdie try repeatedly but often to no avail.

In the end, uniqueness alone won't earn a spot on my shelf.....you have to go a little further than that. I'm passing on the Campfire.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Guru

Bummer. I had to force myself to stop drinking it last night. And this morning my empty glass smelled exactly like marshmallows, so that was nice.