Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Guru

Re: High West Campfire

That is a bummer, but a great reminder that what a lot of people like won't hit everyone in their wheelhouse. I was disappointed in my first bottle of PVW20, and after tasting another at the latest GBS Meeting - decided that it just wasn't the right whiskey for me. And that was a bummer! But as they say in GI Joe, knowing is half the battle.

Looking forward to knowing whether I like this one or not!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Disciple

I have had 2 pours from a newly opened bottle,the first one neat and was quite disappointed but,with the addition of one small cube in an glass seemed to round out nicely.The peat is definitely the star of the show with the rye coming in a distant second.

Taster

I tried it the other night and i just cant get into this one, the peat just overpowers everything to me.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Roadsaw View Post
    I tried it the other night and i just cant get into this one, the peat just overpowers everything to me.
    Do you enjoy any peaty type Scotch (ie - Laphroaig, Ardbeg)? Just curious if it is too peaty in general, or just the presence of the peat makes it objectionable. I know some folks who like Scotch, but not the Islay-variety which has more smoke/peat in it.
    Gary
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain

Taster

I never really drink scotch, have a pour every once in a great while. If its heavy with the smoke/peat its just not for me. The campfire to me just seems to be heavy with it. Gonna give it another shot in a bit.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadsaw View Post
    I never really drink scotch, have a pour every once in a great while. If its heavy with the smoke/peat its just not for me. The campfire to me just seems to be heavy with it. Gonna give it another shot in a bit.
    Ok, that makes sense now as the Campfire is relatively "light" on the peat scale.

You want to avoid any bottle that says Islay on it. Oh, Takisker and Ardmore as well.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Was able to pick up a bottle and cracked it last night. I was impressed. I was expecting a lot more peat than there is, so if there is too much peat for you then a glass of Laphroiag might just kill you I think all three whiskey's were nicely integrated without one overpowering the other. I wish more blenders were willing to come out with products like this, specifically with bourbon, as Compass Box has done a great job with their brands.

Taster

I did go back and try it again. The peat isnt as strong as when i first opened it ,but i still cant get into this one. I have a friend that will enjoy it though so it will not go to waste!

Guru

Reached out to Quality Wine & Spirits, Inc (the High West distributor for Georgia) and they expect to receive their initial shipment later this week - so hopefully we'll see it on the shelves shortly!! Total Wine will be happy that I won't be calling about it regularly
    Gary

Apprentice

Thanks Daryl for the update from Quality - I've had several people asking me when it might hit Georgia.