Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Another member from western NY

Hey folks. I've lurked around this site for the past 2 or so years now. Finally felt the desire to sign up. I'm predominately a beer and bourbon drinker. I'm also a homebrewer. And a cigar smoker. Started drinking bourbon in my late 20's (about 20 years ago), mostly in the form of Jim Beam Manhattans. At some point I switched to Maker's Mark. And eventually the vermouth became token editions to my drink. I finally admitted that it was that amber liquid I was after and not the vermouth, and my drinks became one ingredient. Maker's Mark led to Wild Turkey, Baker's and Booker's. I discovered Blanton's when my loving wife bought me a bottle for Father's Day. That led to new and interesting bottles every Father's Day. Last year I was given a bottle of VWFRR. I think I'll keep her a little longer. At least until mid-June anyway.

We made a pilgrimmage to Kentucky two years ago and toured Woodford Reserve, Heaven Hill, and Four Roses. At the time I was not at all familiar with Four Roses. Their tour led me to regular purchases of 4RSB.

Thanks to you folks I now have a Weller habit. Based on the comments on this site I hunted down a local retailer that carries Weller. I now always have bottles of OWA and WSR on hand.

Anyway. Thanks of all of the good advice. I look forward to talking to you folks.

Virtuoso

Re: Another member from western NY

Hello and welcome!

Connoisseur

Welcome to the group.

Not sure what she has in mind for the next bottle, but it's going to be tough to top that rye. She's a keeper for sure.

Second the Weller thought. Hands down a great inexpensive everyday pour.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Disciple

Welcome aboard. The advice I always give to starters is not to climb the shelf too high too fast. Looks like you took a pretty good route to find what you like, with an assist to your wife.