Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Willet 5 yr bourbon/116 proof

I have tasted a flavor like peanuts in Old Overholt at times. I would grab the Willett Rye (if it's as good as their last batch). I think it's the best of all the versions of LDI Rye that different people have bottled; barrel proof

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    At a family event this weekend a relative was kind enough to share some Willett 5 year bourbon..116 proof. Amazingly smooth for 5 year and that proof. And the most amazing thing...it tasted like liquid peanut butter. I love PB so that is a good thing. Obviously heavy rye recipe, but with a sweetness that results in this peanut butter thing. Anyone else tasted this in the younger Willett Bourbons?
    KBD has bought barrels from every major distillery in KY except for one. Since the Willett label are all single barrels of something, asking this question really does not make sense.

IMHO, if you are tasting peanuts, likely the source of the barrel is Jim Beam.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    KBD has bought barrels from every major distillery in KY except for one. Since the Willett label are all single barrels of something, asking this question really does not make sense.

OK. Guess I figured that amongst the 5 year singke barrels they would pretty much have the same source.

Connoisseur

KBD has bought barrels from every major distillery in KY except for one.
    Which one, I am just curious. There are a lot of distilleries to buy from, so I wonder who refused.
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Advanced Taster

Just a heads-up regarding the new Party Source Willetts. According to Jay, they're expecting bourbons at the following ages: 5, 7, 9, 10 and 21. As Cbus noted, there will also be an LDI rye at "5+" years (Jay's words). He didn't say whether any of the bourbons were wheated, but then again, I didn't ask.

Although I haven't been wowed by some of the Party Source bottlings, I really enjoyed a lot of bourbons from the last round of Willetts. The 8 year olds were full of chocolate and the 3 year old was oily, corny, and fun. The silver wax 13 year old was really interesting, with lots of floral flavors. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try the 17.

I'm looking forward to trying the new ones.

Virtuoso

To me, peanut notes point to Brown Forman.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Did not taste like a Beam product at all (I am not a Beam hater). I only had Old Forester once and can't remember much about it. For what it's worth the notes over at the LA Whiskey Society for the younger Willett bourbons also pick up on peanuts, so I guess it isn't just me.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Beam, Brown Forman... here's another guess, just for fun (I have no info on this).

Maybe it has similar lineage to Cliff's Cracker Jack Old Fitz (distilled by DSP-KY-1; bottled at DSP-KY-31).

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by cbus View Post
    Was at TPS today, and it looked like they just recently got a whole bunch of Willett single barrel selections in stock. If anyone has had opportunity to try any of the new ones, I'm interested in what you have to say about them.
    Wow. Perfect timing. I'll have to pick up a couple of those when I pass through on Friday.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by clingman71 View Post
    Any wheated? The 17 y/o barrel 14a wheated was excellent.
    I Stopped in TPS today, according to Jay none the new Willets are Wheated.