Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: BOTM: 5/12 Evan Williams Single Barrel

Tasting the 2002 neat right now. This bottle is from barrel #91, barreled on 2-18-02 and bottled on 12-01-11. Nose is nice, kind of "dark". Taste is kind of unimpressive. Notable oak and some cinnamon notes. Dry and a little "hot" as well. Not bad considering the price. But I probably won't pick up another one. Just my opinion.

Had a little bit of the newest release again last night and I think a little time with air has gotten rid of the sweetness I was getting when I first opened the bottle. Getting more wood and spice character now, and it did seem to taste a little hot. It's a little more in line with the previous years I have had, but I agree that it is unimpressive. Not bad by any stretch, but I wouldn't purchase the 2002 release again.

Advanced Taster

What is the general consensus for the 2001? A store by me has one last bottle, guessing I should pick it up. I have a 2002 right now, which I like. And managed to find a bottle of 2000 this weekend. What a huge difference between the two. I love the overall balance of the 2000, but I also like the more straightforward punch of the 2002, although not nearly as refined as the 2000.

Connoisseur

The 2001 I tried was flat and weak, almost watery. I actually preferred EWB over it. But, different barrels will be different so my experience may be totally different than yours.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

After reading this thread I decided to kick open my '99 vintage, for the price I find it to be a decent drink and might have to go and pick up a few other years just to taste the differences

Advanced Taster

Boy, I didn't care for the 2001 at all. I am going to revisit it this weekend but after tasting it last night, along with the 00 and 02 (I love both of these), I was terribly disappointed. It had none of the richness of the 2002, and none of the balance of the 2000. It was somewhere in between the two in overall flavor profile but not in a good way. A very astringent mid palate and finish. For me, the Rye and Woodiness is not kept in check and runs rampant from the get go with an almost bitter quality.

I know I am late to the party on these but I am a noob after all.

Cheers

Advanced Taster

I was just going through my inventory, and I noticed that one of my 97's is probably mislabeled. It says Distilled on 11/18/97 and bottled on 7/26/05. This would make it less than 8 years old.

I have a feeling that because it is batch 655 they had the number 5 on the brain when they wrote in the bottling date.

Anyone else seen something like this? Is EWSB always ~10 years old?

Quote Originally Posted by redbear View Post
    I was just going through my inventory, and I noticed that one of my 97's is probably mislabeled. It says Distilled on 11/18/97 and bottled on 7/26/05. This would make it less than 8 years old.

I have a feeling that because it is batch 655 they had the number 5 on the brain when they wrote in the bottling date.

Anyone else seen something like this? Is EWSB always ~10 years old?
    Things aren't collectible except when they aren't that might be something to hold on to as a fluke.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

I have had three different EWSBs and they weren't bad, but not great all. I think Ezra Brooks 7 year/101 (also HH whiskey) is much better.

Advanced Taster

This was put in the cask on 4/1/02 and says specially selected for Total Wine & More by Craig Beam. 86.6 proof.

Color - Light color. About like tea.

Nose - Vanilla. Honey. Banana. Sweet.

Taste - Oak up front. Spice. Cinnamon. Slightly oily.

Finnish - More oak and vanilla.