Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM: 5/12 Evan Williams Single Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    I probably wouldn't require the world's smallest violin playing "My Heart Pumps Purple P!$$ for You" if I had more friends that liked Bourbon and didn't live several cities away.

...oh woe is me.....(ultra-sarcastic subtext)
    All I was saying was that 'more for me!' seems like a pretty good problem to have (as far as problems go), but you have expressed quite a noble sentiment. To be honest, I am not 100% sure I would want tons of thirsty friends. Heck, I am of two minds about whether I should try to get the wife into bourbon too. It would be fun, but she would drink up my very meager collection of good stuff!

Fortunately, there are tons of solid, tasty, accessible bourbons out there like EWSB; even if these kinds of products are not necessarily equal to BTAC, I still can get to them without a sprawling network of contacts and social connections, which for better or worse I lack.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Advanced Taster

This BOTM is the first one were I've actually got a bottle of what is being discussed available. As a relative newbie, I only recently purchased the 2002 vintage when it went on sale (just last week). Anyway, at first pour, I must say I agree with a couple of previous posts....it seems to be a very nice product....much more refined than EW Black...but IMHO, EC12 blows it out of the water....can't believe this is the same juice. EC12 is MUCH richer, with much more heft, and for my money, that is what separates good bourbon from great bourbon.

We'll see where this goes after subsequent pours.....

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
    IMHO, EC12 blows it out of the water....can't believe this is the same juice. EC12 is MUCH richer, with much more heft, and for my money, that is what separates good bourbon from great bourbon.
    I agree with you 100% there. The EC12 I'm drinking right now beats out all 3 EWSB vintages I've had: '99, '00, '01.

The '00 is my favorite, especially Binny's barrels, but Binny's '01 is also better than a TPS '01 I had last year.

The '99 Binny's bottle was like kissing wheatgrass in a headlock.

Quote Originally Posted by mosugoji64 View Post
    I wish these were 100 proof as HH juice tends to sing at higher proofs, but they're still enjoyable for what they are.
    That's been my experience with PHC, still have yet to pop that HH 6yo BiB. I've had some superlative EC18, up to par with Pappy20, at 90pf. My current EC12 echoes my favorite EC18, and it's just a standard release.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    The '99 Binny's bottle was like kissing wheatgrass in a headlock.
    Hey, that sounds pretty good to me! At least it has some oomph, unlike the disgustingly mundane '01 I bought on sale last year. The 2000 is still one of my favorite drinking bourbons. As in, made for taking big sips.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    still have yet to pop that HH 6yo BiB.
    I was wondering if you'd tried it yet. Let us know your thoughts when you get around to it.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

I generally like this release so I picked up the 2002 last week to try. It's not bad, but I feel like it doesn't have the strong wood flavor I look forward to. Seems a little sweeter and more restrained the the previous two years, though I have never directly compared. I think I know where I can still grab last year's release, so maybe I'll do just that.

Connoisseur

Of the 3 EWSB's I have had, even mundane Old Ezra 7 year 101 is better, I know it's not stated that it's HH whiskey, but it's widely known to be.

Advanced Taster

I've been working through my first EWSB, a 2000. Based on everyone's comments about the 2000, I was disappointed with the earliest pours out of the bottle. They had a watery start and low complexity.

As time passes, I feel like the bottle has matured some. The wateriness is no where near as prominent. Instead, I get a bit of honey and vanilla. Later I get moderate wood, and yes, some mintyness. It's grown on me.

I look forward to the additional bottles I've been able to find. I have multiples from 1995 and up. I always keep an eye out for the older bottlings.

Novice

I've not yet picked up a 2002. I have a 2000 and a 2001. I enjoy the 2000 more than I liked the 1998 and 1999. I agree with other posters that you can really tell the difference between years, however I can't say much about bottles within a year as I've only purchased two from the same year: 2000.

Even though it's all HH whiskey, I do not like EC12 neat (but it does make a great julep base) but like the McKenna BIB. As for EW I have to say I look forward to the EWSB each year. It's different and meant to be different. Some years are better, no years are bad, and all years are worth discussing, especially at this price point.

So this discussion thread simply moves up my timeframe for buying a 2002 and comparing against my 2000 and 2001.

Connoisseur

Had some EWSB 1996 and EW 1783. The 1996 went into barrel 39 on 2/19/96 and was bottled on 11/22/05. If my history is correct, this makes it pre-fire Bardstown juice.
    The nose was rather tight at first but opened up with honey, leather and citrus. On the palate, I was struck by the balance. Nothing really jumped out the way you sometimes get overhwelmed by an initial hit of caramel or vanilla. It was a lot drier than I expected based on other EWSBs. With a drop of water, it opened more but kept its balance. Great legs and a nice, full mouthfeel. Long, dry finish.
    The 1783 was neither as complex nor as well balanced but the family resemblance to EWSB was clear. It was just plain good! A lot of corny sweetness at first. Very easy sipping neat. Undemanding. Nothing harsh or jarring to disturb the pleasure. The QPR is simply outstanding at only a dollar more than EWBL. I'm tempted to rank it with VOB, and AAA as a value pour but I'll need to sample a couple more bottles before making a definitive judgment.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.