Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Suggestions for a rye different from Rittenhouse BIB

Hi all,

I recently bought Rittenhouse BIB as my first rye a couple of weeks ago. I really like it up front (I get a nice hit of spicyness), but towards the finish I always feel like I just rinsed with mouthwash.

I opened the bottle a couple weeks ago and tried it and have since let it aerate a little and have tried to reserve my judgement. Maybe it needs to be open a little longer before I taste an improvement?

Anyhow, has anyone else had a similar experience with this rye and if so have you found a different rye that doesn't give you this mouthwash taste?

Spencer

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Suggestions for a rye different from Rittenhouse BIB

Well, in my opinion, the minty-like taste akin to mouthwash is a typical rye flavor. Not all ryes have it, sometimes the taste is more a spicy one than a minty one, or grassy-like, but it is a common taste in rye.

Two suggestions: seek out Sazerac Rye, which has more the "rye grass" side of the palate than the mint, or try to find any aged rye (10 years +). Aging tends to round out young rye tastes and turns them into something quite different, usually.

Gary

Hi Gary, is this true for Baby Saz as well? (I am assuming yes).

Thanks for the suggestions

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Indeed and I really meant Baby Saz in fact. Saz 18 has pronounced aged notes (sort of fruity rhubarb, had to describe old rye) that are appreciated by most but it strays from any pronounced young rye flavor due to the maturity.

I should suggest as well Russell's Reserve Rye, that is a milder rye of the younger kind that avoids heavy mint or musky vegetal notes (which I always get from the Beam-made ryes).

Gary

Advanced Taster

Spence,

I'd like to echo Gary's suggestion that you try the Baby Sazerac and an older rye like the Van Winke Family Reserve. Another option might be the Leopold Bros. Maryland Style Rye, which is among the least-minty ryes I can think of, particularly considering its relative youth. It's not the easiest to find, so shoot me a PM if you can't turn any up. I've not had Old Overholt or Jim Beam rye for a while, but as Gary said, I remember them having more peanut/grass flavors than mint.

On the other hand, I find a lot of mint in the LDI ryes I've tasted, like the Willett 3/4 and Bulleit. I'd never suggest that someone avoid a whiskey because of another person's tasting notes, but to me, they're minty. Still, you may find a lot to love about them and they're reasonably priced.

Thanks Paul. I actually live outside of Denver so there is an abundance of Leopold's around. I have had their american whiskey and I am a fan. In fact, I have enjoyed everything I have tasted from them, especially the gin and whiskey. I have had my eye on the Maryland style rye from them but was hesitant, but I think I will pick up a bottle now.

Connoisseur

I'll throw in a recommendation for the High West Rendezvous Rye. It cost me about twice as much as what I pay for Ritt BIB or Baby Saz, but I generally regard those as mixing whiskeys for nice cocktails rather than for sipping.

The Rendezvous has a light, grassy nose. There is a mint note on the palate that seems to have a cooling effect that I find really pleasant. I don't know if that's what you meant by "mouthwash", but it's understated when I taste. I'll do an comparison with Ritt tonight.

Enthusiast

I'm surprised no one mentioned wild turkey rye (only the 101 proof- if you can still find it).

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    I'll throw in a recommendation for the High West Rendezvous Rye. It cost me about twice as much as what I pay for Ritt BIB or Baby Saz, but I generally regard those as mixing whiskeys for nice cocktails rather than for sipping.

The Rendezvous has a light, grassy nose. There is a mint note on the palate that seems to have a cooling effect that I find really pleasant. I don't know if that's what you meant by "mouthwash", but it's understated when I taste. I'll do an comparison with Ritt tonight.
    I have not had the Rendezvous, but the Double Rye! is very tasty. , kind of an in your face rye, not bourbony like Ritt BIB. When I can find Ritt BIB $22, baby Saz $27, Double Rye! $34..while they are all very good and different, for my pallet, the HW DR! Is worth the extra money.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Enthusiast

Also hearing good things about the willett single barrel rye at barrel proof. I think the current ones are 5 or 6 years old.