Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Suggestions for a rye different from Rittenhouse BIB

Quote Originally Posted by trumpstylz View Post
    Also hearing good things about the willett single barrel rye at barrel proof. I think the current ones are 5 or 6 years old.
    Yeah, but he didn't like Rittenhouse because of the mouthwash finish. Compared to Rittenhouse those LDI Willetts are like barrel aged Scope. That's not to say I don't like them, because I do.

Hesitantly, I would suggest Beam. It's not minty. Plenty of fruity, yeasty funk, but not minty.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Yeah, but he didn't like Rittenhouse because of the mouthwash finish. Compared to Rittenhouse those LDI Willetts are like barrel aged Scope. That's not to say I don't like them, because I do.

Hesitantly, I would suggest Beam. It's not minty. Plenty of fruity, yeasty funk, but not minty.
    Yeah, when he said Ritt was like mouthwash on the finish, I wasn't gonna recommend anything LDI!

You may wish to stick to Bourbon, sir.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by trumpstylz View Post
    I'm surprised no one mentioned wild turkey rye (only the 101 proof- if you can still find it).
    I would second this if you can still find it. I was REALLY excited to try Ritt and while I enjoyed it, it wasn't anything special in my book (I admit I may suffer from unrealistic high expectations in this instance).

Now the Wild Turkey Rye 101, that is great stuff.
    Rye whiskey makes the sun set faster.

Enthusiast

Ritt BIB is one of the more corny/bourbony ryes out there... If you are getting *too much* mint on that one, then I'm not sure where to go.

As noted the LDI Ryes are going to be like gargling mouthwash. FWIW: I find the Russel's Reserve Rye to be quite minty/piney as well.

As suggested Wild Turkey 101 is a good bet, as is the Baby Saz - but fundamentally the very nature of Rye means it will have a fruity/spicy character to it - so what you pick up as mint is supposed to be there in some amount - the higher the rye, the mintier it might be - unless well aged.

I get almost no mint on Vintage 21 & VWFRR 13 - more juicy fruit and Christmas spices, but Saz 18 has a fair amount of mint.

The Thomas Handy Rye is also not minty - it's an explosion of flavor.

But for the price point of a Ritt, none of those are close, and most are terribly hard to find at any price.

Baby Saz
    Wild Turkey 101 (if you can still find it...)
    Beam or Old Overholt (which I don't like)

Those are the only "barely legals" out there in that under $30 price point that won't be mint-bombs. *I* would also include Ritt BIB on that list, but obviously our pallets don't agree!

FWIW: My brother despises mint, but Baby Saz is his favorite whiskey... so, go figure.

As noted above... you may want to stick with Bourbon.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to hunt for WT101 (haven't seen it yet) and will try some of the longer aged ryes at a bar before getting a whole bottle. I'm not going to give up on rye just yet b/c I wouldn't advise someone give up on bourbon after trying only one expression. Maybe the 'minty' flavor will grow on me?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by spence21989 View Post
    Hi all,

... and if so have you found a different rye that doesn't give you this mouthwash taste?

Spencer
    Try Pikesville Rye, a 3 year old in the Maryland Rye tradition. It's not easy to find - only sold in ~3 states and on a couple of internet sites, but a good value.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Ritt BIB is one of the more corny/bourbony ryes out there... If you are getting *too much* mint on that one, then I'm not sure where to go.

As noted the LDI Ryes are going to be like gargling mouthwash. FWIW: I find the Russel's Reserve Rye to be quite minty/piney as well.

As suggested Wild Turkey 101 is a good bet, as is the Baby Saz - but fundamentally the very nature of Rye means it will have a fruity/spicy character to it - so what you pick up as mint is supposed to be there in some amount - the higher the rye, the mintier it might be - unless well aged.

I get almost no mint on Vintage 21 & VWFRR 13 - more juicy fruit and Christmas spices, but Saz 18 has a fair amount of mint.

The Thomas Handy Rye is also not minty - it's an explosion of flavor.

But for the price point of a Ritt, none of those are close, and most are terribly hard to find at any price.

Baby Saz
    Wild Turkey 101 (if you can still find it...)
    Beam or Old Overholt (which I don't like)

Those are the only "barely legals" out there in that under $30 price point that won't be mint-bombs. *I* would also include Ritt BIB on that list, but obviously our pallets don't agree!

FWIW: My brother despises mint, but Baby Saz is his favorite whiskey... so, go figure.

As noted above... you may want to stick with Bourbon.
    That about sums it up. Couldn't have said it better myself. Go with the WT Rye and/or Baby Saz and give them time. You'll either 1) have a different experience, 2) acquire the taste for rye or 3) learn that rye is just not for you. I suspect that option #2 may be the case.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

May I suggest the new Knob Creek rye- 100 proof and about the same age. very tasty!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    May I suggest the new Knob Creek rye- 100 proof and about the same age. very tasty!
    Once I see it I will probably get it or wait for it to go on sale depending on price. I do like KC and KCSB, so I have my hopes up for this.

Connoisseur

I was honestly taken off guard by the Knob Creek rye. With no age statement, I was afraid it would be 100 proof yellow label. This is certainly not the case. When I drink it, it reminds me an awful lot of Wild Turkey 101 rye, but with about 2 more years worth of age. Dry, slightly grassy, but yet sweet. Just the way I like my rye!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.