Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Connoisseur

Re: Suggestions for a rye different from Rittenhouse BIB

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    I was honestly taken off guard by the Knob Creek rye. With no age statement, I was afraid it would be 100 proof yellow label. This is certainly not the case. When I drink it, it reminds me an awful lot of Wild Turkey 101 rye, but with about 2 more years worth of age. Dry, slightly grassy, but yet sweet. Just the way I like my rye!
    I hope they send some to Massachusetts, as the WTR101 seems to have all but disappeared from the shelves... Can't wait to taste it...

Well, we have a winner!

I kept revisiting the Rittenhouse, it slight grew on my but I never got past one pour and gave many pours to company. I had been eyeing the KC rye but haven't pulled the trigger.

Went into my local store to grab some beer and who was there? Scott Leopold. Talked to him about how much I liked his spirits (the gin and the american whiskey specifically) and he talked me into the maryland style rye since it would be less spicy and more fruity and just hit selves within the past couple days.

Simply put, this bottle is going to go quick and I think I'm going to need to grab more before they all disappear.

Now I want to try pikesville, anyone know if I can get it online?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by spence21989 View Post
    ... I had been eyeing the KC rye but haven't pulled the trigger. ...

Now I want to try pikesville, anyone know if I can get it online?
    Pikesville Rye is sold largely in Maryland, however MD retail stores are not allowed to sell via mail order.
    Schneiderís of Capitol Hill in Washington, DC has it and they do sell via mail order nationally. They are great people, very knowledgeable, and the prices are very competitive. Their web site (cellar.com) shows Pikesville Rye at $21.99 for a 1.75 L. I'm a fan of Pikesville and the MD style of rye that it represents. And, it's a great value.

I picked up the Knob Creek Rye about a month ago, and it is very good (I give it 8.8 on a 10 point scale). However, I do think that it's too pricey. I have the Jefferson's Rye (the 100% rye sourced from Canada) which is excellent (9 points out of 10), and the price is ~25% less (here in MI).

Shell

UUuuhhhhh......dude, don't get your hopes up too high for Pikesville. If you don't like Ritt, you won't like Pikesville, it's the exact same product, only younger age (3 years) and lower proof (80.) I've found Pikesville periodically by chance in LA, it's super cheap like $12/bottle if you find it, but it will not fundamentally change your opinion of ryes. If you don't like Ritt, Pikes is just Ritt Jr....you won't dig it.

If you want rye to love, adore and cherish, go drink either Rendezvous Rye or Baby Saz