Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

What is a typical night?

Let me start by saying I am originally from Wisconsin, so a few drinks a night is the social norm. I'm curious what a typical Monday-Friday night looks like for you guys/gals?

I'll usually have a pint after dinner and the ponder which bourbon pour to have as a follow up.

Share your post work/evening/?morning? Rituals..

Virtuoso

Re: What is a typical night?

I usually have a beer when I get home from work. Then, I eat dinner and walk my dogs. After that, I take a shower and pour a glass of Bourbon/Scotch/Irish.... and, as of late, Tequila. I usually have a couple pours during an evening.... sometimes more.

There are nights I don't drink at all, though.

Connoisseur

a few nights a week a glass of wine or a beer with dinner.
    a few nights a week a little whisky.
    often more on the weekend. more likely to have a martini or, in the summer, a margarita
    Last edited by bigtoys; 05-02-2012 at 22:16.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Enthusiast

Mon/Tues: I will do a 1/2 oz tasting pour usually.
    Weds/Thurs: nothing.
    Fri/Sat: I usually will have a cocktail or two or a healthy pour on the rocks with a twist of lemon after the kids are in bed.
    Sunday: nothing.

About once or twice a month I make it over to fellow member Max Power's house and we do some serious bourbon and/or tequila sampling. Those are good nights!
    -SOB-

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sob0728 View Post
    Mon/Tues: I will do a 1/2 oz tasting pour usually.
    Weds/Thurs: nothing.
    Fri/Sat: I usually will have a cocktail or two or a healthy pour on the rocks with a twist of lemon after the kids are in bed.
    Sunday: nothing.

About once or twice a month I make it over to fellow member Max Power's house and we do some serious bourbon and/or tequila sampling. Those are good nights!
    Those are indeed good nights. The tequila collection is overwhelming, but the bourbon stash is growing...and now we're buying more scotch. Life is good.

A few nights a week, I'll have a drink after the kids go to bed. One night, I'll do 3-4 1/2 ounce tastings of tequila to make notes and write reviews. One weekend night is reserved for drinking whatever I feel like and not thinking too much about it...AKA the nights that sob stops by. Generally I'll share with the wife if she's awake and not drink anything if she's not. That determines the schedule.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Those are indeed good nights. The tequila collection is overwhelming, but the bourbon stash is growing...and now we're buying more scotch. Life is good.

A few nights a week, I'll have a drink after the kids go to bed. One night, I'll do 3-4 1/2 ounce tastings of tequila to make notes and write reviews. One weekend night is reserved for drinking whatever I feel like and not thinking too much about it...AKA the nights that sob stops by. Generally I'll share with the wife if she's awake and not drink anything if she's not. That determines the schedule.
    We'll have to get together and discuss tequila. My next-door neighbor runs the anti-smoking campaign for Mexico and goes down 6 - 8 times a year. He often brings back some of the most amazing tequila at half the cost of buying it in the US, often the label is not in English. As a result I have developed a taste and stash of quality tequila.

As for nightly I usually do a theme flight of four and follow up with one of my house bourbons. Sometimes get my wife to pick them out and I try to identify. Very humbling!
    Last edited by Enoch; 05-03-2012 at 11:30.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    We'll have to get together and discuss tequila. My next-door neighbor runs the anti-smoking campaign for Mexico and goes down 6 - 8 times a year. He often brings back some of the most amazing tequila at half the cost of buying it in the US, often the label is not in English. As a result I have developed a taste and stash of quality tequila.

As for nightly I usually do a theme flight of four and follow up with one of my house bourbons. Sometimes get my wife to pick them out and I try to identify. Very humbling!
    Online ordering from stores in southern California grants access to a lot of agave not available in MN. Hunting online for something new and the best price is part of the fun.

I might have join a chat night some for folks who want to talk tequila and bourbon.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

My wife and I like themes to what we call cocktail hour. (We call it that even though we don't drink cocktails, just bourbon neat and/or with just a drop of water.) I like the genealogy theme--two or three or four bourbons from the same family or same mash bill:
    OGD BIB, 114, Basil Hayden
    AAA, BT, ETL, Blanton's
    OWA, Weller 12
    EC 12 & 18
    EWSB from different vintages
    Sometimes, we do a "blind" tasting as in the one pouring gets to pick and the pouree gets to guess.
    Sometimes I'm just in the mood for a KC or VOB or it's been a while since Old Ezra 101.
    I guess the only thing "typical" is that virtually every day has some bourbon in it. I'm a very lucky man.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Advanced Taster

Interesting answers.

For me. I will typically have a healthy glass of red wine with dinner. Hang out for a while. Get the kiddos ready for bed then have a 1.5-2oz pour watching TV or reading a book.

This is my routine 3-4 nights during the week.

On the weekends, I am usually outside doing yardwork and end up with a beer or three in my hand and end up slowly migrating to a couple fingers of something good.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I don't drink much Monday thru Thursday - maybe 1 or 2 standard (30ml) pours, and that would be the exception, not the norm. Usually I don't drink on those days unless it's been a really stressfull day or we are entertaining.
    Friday to Sunday I usually enjoy 2-3 standard pours per day/evening. Unfortunately in the last few years I've started getting migrains the next day if I exceed 4 or 5 standard drinks in a night