Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What is a typical night?

@ BrewerMatty Well said! I've enjoyed that picture for a few years.

@ SMOWK "Hello Sky!" Is that what we say? May our livers allow that we continue to enjoy our choice libations well into old age.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BrewerMatty View Post

Sometimes it's hard working weekends...
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Virtuoso

Wow, guys. I was kidding about being on the road to AA, but it looks like my comment touched a nerve. It's good that everyone is conscious of their drinking, but I never doubted that. We have a good group of intelligent folks here who put a lot of thought into what they're drinking, so I think that makes the likelihood of plowing recklessly toward alcoholism pretty low.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Virtuoso

I drink on most evenings. I never drink to get drunk or get a buzz. I drink because I enjoy whatever spirit I'm drinking. I will usually have 1-2 pours in a 2-3 hour period, sometimes more.

I come from a long line of alcoholism in my family. I suppose that my affinity for alcohol is natural. I'm not an alcoholic. I don't need to drink every evening... I choose to. I know full well the perils of alcohol.... I lived with it for the better part of my life. That is why I will NEVER become an alcoholic.

Sometimes, the blueprint for what not to do is right in front of your face.... as painful and unwelcomed as it is.

Connoisseur

Tue story, according to my dad, and may explain why there aren't many drinkers in the family:

When my dad was about 16, mt great uncle Burl hired a genealogist to trace the family's roots. They had apparently found my great-great-something grandfather's journal, in which he mapped out a parcel of land to buy for ten dollars. On the way to the land office, he spent that ten dollars on a bottle of whiskey.

That land is now all of downtown Indianapolis.

I've seen Indianapolis. I think he made the right choice.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Kyjd75 View Post
    David Driscoll recently posted a very appropriate entry in his blog re drinking too much.

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/kl...?currentPage=2

It seemed very relevant to me after my misstep at the Sampler last Saturday.
    That's a great post, thanks for the link!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEdwards View Post
    I've seen Indianapolis. I think he made the right choice.
    I would have to agree!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

Typical night (Fri-Sun) is 1-2 3 oz. pours, sometimes each night of those days, sometimes not. If I am grilling maybe that is 3 3oz. pours spread out over a few hours.

My issue is that my work takes me away from home 4-6 months out of the year, sometime to far-flung places. It's real easy to go over the sane limit in those cases sometimes. Something I have to be careful with.

Enthusiast

Talking Re: What is a typical night?

Typical week night: none on Sunday; and maybe every other week night I'll have a 1.5 oz pour which I'll cherish for an hour or so while reading, or doing paperwork.

Thur., Fri, Sat: 2-3 pours or drinks, beers, etc. depending on circumstances.

Interesting link on positive effects of MODERATE alcohol consumption.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/AlcoholAndHealth.html

Most of these studies conclude that moderate drinkers have longer life expectancies than abstainers or heavy drinkers.

I'm thinking this is based on them being HAPPY!!!!

So: Cheers, and Drink on, but in moderation.

Bill.
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Enthusiast

What's a typical night? Hookers and Blow!

Ok, not really...If the mood strikes me through the week I have a pour. I never have more than two 1.5 oz pours on "school nights" and rarely do this more than 2 nights M-Th. Friday and Saturday, all bets are off . Actually when drinking on Friday or Saturday I usually hit a warm buzz and maintain it for a couple hours. I never get to the point of where I would say I was drunk...or at least I haven't in quite a while.(came close a couple of times at the Sampler.) I usually don't drink on Sunday. Not for any specific reasons, but that's just how it works out.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey