Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Charred Oak Bourbon Whiskey

So this was launched in Georgia on Friday. No doubt a sourced bourbon. RJR spirits in Marrietta owns the brand. Bottled and blended by Off The Clock Spirits in maddison wisconsin. No indication where it was distilled or age statement. On the mashbill the owners would only say 51% corn (duh) (I'm willing to bet its alot more than 51%) and the rest is proprietary. Not sure if they even knew... It wasn't bad. Nothing to jump up and down about but not terrible. anyone had this?
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Virtuoso

Re: Charred Oak Bourbon Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    So this was launched in Georgia on Friday. No doubt a sourced bourbon. RJR spirits in Marrietta owns the brand. Bottled and blended by Off The Clock Spirits in maddison wisconsin. No indication where it was distilled or age statement. On the mashbill the owners would only say 51% corn (duh) (I'm willing to bet its alot more than 51%) and the rest is proprietary. Not sure if they even knew... It wasn't bad. Nothing to jump up and down about but not terrible. anyone had this?
    Interesting. From the label approval it appears it was made by Yahara Bay Spirits, a micro in Madison, Wisconsin.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Interesting. From the label approval it appears it was made by Yahara Bay Spirits, a micro in Madison, Wisconsin.
    More likely 'bottled' by Yahara Bay.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    More likely 'bottled' by Yahara Bay.
    The label says "distilled from grain, blended [?] and bottled by Off the Clock Spirits, Madison, WI," which the app notes is a dba for Yahara Bay, and no other state appears on the label. Under the regs, this would mean the state of distillation was Wisconsin. That being said, I've seen a few labels where I question whether the TTB is on the ball about enforcing this reg as a few whiskeys I've seen that appear to be sourced don't seem to have the state of distillation listed.

I wonder is this has anything to do with the company making Death's Door Spirits?
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    I wonder is this has anything to do with the company making Death's Door Spirits?
    Death's Door is another Wisconsin distillery, unrelated as far as I know.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    I saw this last Friday at Sherlock's in Kennesaw, but picked up the Willett 4 yr Rye instead. So I did not have this yet.

Disciple

Death's Door is another Wisconsin distillery, unrelated as far as I know.
    Death's Door is actually rectified and bottled by Yahara Bay. While Death's Door is finally building a distillery, they've always mislead people. There has never been an actual Death's Door distillery. When they started, they were actually bottled in Iowa, although they never liked to mention that.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Death's Door is actually rectified and bottled by Yahara Bay. While Death's Door is finally building a distillery, they've always mislead people. There has never been an actual Death's Door distillery. When they started, they were actually bottled in Iowa, although they never liked to mention that.

Thanks for the info White Dog. I didn't know that. Being from Wisconsin, do you know any of these guys or have you been to Yahara Bay's distillery?

Disciple

Thanks for the info White Dog. I didn't know that. Being from Wisconsin, do you know any of these guys or have you been to Yahara Bay's distillery?
    I've met a few owners and a few employees of various Wisconsin distilleries. I have not physically been to Yahara.