Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Comparing Manhattans With Different Bourbons

Absolutely the yeast-forward Beam signature seems ideal for the Manhattan. Ditto many rye whiskeys which on their own are a little tough to drink neat (for many anyway).

I would advise for the neophyte Manhattan drinker not to use too much vermouth, 3:1 whiskey to vermouth might be good although I make it sweeter. But some will never take to it, fair enough.

Gary

P.S. Might I add that bitters are essential to the drink, it tastes "right" with them and incomplete without them.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Absolutely the yeast-forward Beam signature seems ideal for the Manhattan. Ditto many rye whiskeys which on their own are a little tough to drink neat (for many anyway).

I would advise for the neophyte Manhattan drinker not to use too much vermouth, 3:1 whiskey to vermouth might be good although I make it sweeter. But some will never take to it, fair enough.

Gary

P.S. Might I add that bitters are essential to the drink, it tastes "right" with them and incomplete without them.
    Thanks Gary, I used 3:1 and 4:1 but just couldn't get into it. Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack - this is for enthusiasts!

I understand fully, and thanks for giving it a stab! The good thing about bourbon and rye are, there are numerous ways to enjoy them.

Gary

Disciple

Easy on the vermouth, heavy with the bitters.

Connoisseur

I read the title of this thread with sheer horror - Manhattans with bourbons!? I think a tear just rolled down my cheek and into my proper rye Manhattan

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    I read the title of this thread with sheer horror - Manhattans with bourbons!? I think a tear just rolled down my cheek and into my proper rye Manhattan
    Piffle! Balderdash! Sometimes one wants to taste the rye kick, especially with not-so-fancy vermouth, and sometimes a subtler bourbon will let the flavor notes of a better vermouth like Cocchi sweet or Carpano Antica have their day in the sun (or their evening on the sofa).

A Manhattan made with scotch is a Rob Roy, so perhaps we need a more clever name than "Bourbon Manhattan"...

Well, a bourbon Manhattan is (for most here I think) better than one made with blended whiskey - although I know at least one honored member here who prefers them that way! And Manhattans have been made for a long time with blended and Canadian... As always personal taste rules here and I find many bourbons suit the drink well, not necessarily those which are rye-heavy, but mid-aged examples which have a "robust" taste. VOB is a good example.

But there's no question the drink started with rye and a good rye Manhattan is a good drink.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 06-29-2012 at 14:12.