Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Apprentice

Sipping rum suggestions for beginners

I am mainly a whisky/bourbon sipper. Never owned a bottle of rum. What would you suggest as a sipping rum for someone just getting into rum?

Guru

Re: Sipping rum suggestions for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by bdrinker View Post
    I am mainly a whisky/bourbon sipper. Never owned a bottle of rum. What would you suggest as a sipping rum for someone just getting into rum?
    Where to begin? Tons of information in the new Rum Forum of course. For a whiskey drinker I tend to suggest Mount Gay XO or Appleton 12. If you think you might like the rums that are typically sweeter then for me it is hard to go wrong with El Dorado 12, 15 and 21yo. These all tend to be readily available and generally affordable. I also like the Doorly XO and Seale 10yo that are from Barbados like Mount Gay and supposedly are not permitted to have added sugar like most rums do. Zaya is another rum on the sweeter side but interesting enough as a sipper.

The aged rhum agricoles are fun but might not be the ideal starting point as they tend to have a bit more of a vegetal funk and may be harder to find and more expensive. But they are not permitted to be sweetened as most rums are and tend to be more whiskey like as a result. Rhum Barbancourt 5 star/8yo is another generally readily available affordable rum which is a bit more like the rhum agricoles but to me typically not quite as vegetal in nature (or as expensive) as the rhum agricoles from Martinique and Guadeloupe.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

I like Barrilito 3 Star, from Puerto Rico, if you can find it.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SqueakScolari View Post
    I like Barrilito 3 Star, from Puerto Rico, if you can find it.
    Yes, perhaps my favorite PR rum but seems to be harder to find generally at least here in Atlanta.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Advanced Taster

I am no expert on rum, but I do like a sip every now and then. Look at Pyrat XO, Apple Estate or Mount Gay Extra Old. All are very good and easy to find. I think the Pyrat XO is a bargain at $20.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
    I am no expert on rum, but I do like a sip every now and then. Look at Pyrat XO, Apple Estate or Mount Gay Extra Old. All are very good and easy to find. I think the Pyrat XO is a bargain at $20.
    I like the other two but never been a huge fan of Pyrat which I find heavily sugared and flavored (orange flavor mostly) in a seemingly artificial way. All sourced rum blended currently in Guyana using a lot of Diamond Distillers Limited (DDL) rum as well as rum from other countries, presumably what ever they can get their hands on. I suspect it is young and heavily colored as well.

DDL is the home of El Dorado and I personally prefer the El Dorado line of rums and would always buy that over Pyrat if I want a sweeter but better balanced rum.

But you have to try for yourself to decide what you like!

Apprentice

I'm formulating a shopping list for a sipper. So far i have RZ23, Appleton 12, ED 12.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bdrinker View Post
    I'm formulating a shopping list for a sipper. So far i have RZ23, Appleton 12, ED 12.
    A lot of things I don't particularly find appealing about "Capn Jimbo" and his website so I am somewhat loath to recommend it but this guide might be useful. The prices are a bit out of date by now but most of the recommendations are decent to explore different styles of rum. He defines five general categories of rum.

http://rumproject.com/menuitem5.html

I have modified it a bit here with my own comments in italics:

1. Mount Gay Extra Old: representing the original, Barbadian style of rum.

Always a good starting point to me for whiskey drinkers.

2. Appleton Extra Reserve: representing the aromatic Jamaican style of rum.

To my knowledge there is no "Extra Reserve". Not sure if he is talking about the blended "Estate Reserve" or the older age stated Extra 12yo but I would splurge for the 12yo.

3. El Dorado 15: representing the Demerara style from Guyana. The 12 is also well regarded.

Full of sugar no doubt but still good, representative of the style, and decently priced as a rule.

4. Barbancourt Five Star: representing the agricultural style of rums made from cane juice (rather than molasses) produced in the French Indies.

I like the Barbancourt 5 star/8yo and recommend it but not sure I would rely on it as my sole intro to all things Rhum Agricole. For that I might look to something like the Clement rhums which do tend to be a bit more expensive.

5. Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva: representing the Cuban style of rum.

Not sure I agree it is the best representation of the Cuban style outside of Cuba but not a bad rum. And we may not have to wait too much longer for Cuban rum (which probably is as much hype as it is reality in terms of quality, much like the cigars). You might not have to wait at all if you are indeed in Israel!

To round out your collection it's not a bad idea to pick up one or more of these:

Definitely plus/minus on these although I do find Flor de Cana to be a good solid mixer at a good price. I know nothing about the "coffee rum" he mentions. I tend to replace Gosling with Cruzan Blackstrap just because I don't like Gosling trying to control the recipe for the Dark and Stormy cocktail.

6. Angostura 1919: we call it our "bananas foster" rum. Words like creamy, soft, elegant, smooth and subtle come to mind. Top reviews, very well regarded and a mere $20. Part of the trend toward rum as liqueur. Rated 4 stars by Broom "...gorgeous, subtle, quite complex, light and elegant. Highly recommended."

7. Gosling's Black Seal: an old classic black rum, the only rum to use in the famous "Dark and Stormy". Think British Navy. $14.

8. Flor de Cana Gold (4 year): well respected mixing rum, of which you'll need one. $13. Rated 4 stars by Broom "...great balance, great style... from a classy producer".

9. Brinley's Coffee: my family was in the coffee business in South American and the islands. This is a great coffee rum. $20, but worth every penny.

10. Ron Zacapa 23: this rum has dominated competitions and buying it is the only way you'll shut up all the snobs who will insist that until you add 23 to your collection you're really missing something. You're not. But buy it anyway and see for yourself. But please don't spend more than $33. Is it really 23 years old? Maybe a teaspoon.

I have to agree with the "Capn" on this one but you may not find if for much less than mid $40's these days although I noted K&L had it for $40 if you are in their delivery area. I am guessing Jerusalem is not unless you are in Jerusalem, Ohio...

Connoisseur

Some very comprehensive advice there, cant go wrong I say!.
    I will add my two cents and back the suggestions for appleton 12 and mount gay xo, pick one or both, but i would suggest startting here.

Connoisseur

Sipping rum suggestions for beginners

Pretty new to the Rum game myself, having gotten into it after trying some Balcones Texas Rum (still my favorite).
    A few I really like are-
    Pusser's 15 YO
    Pumpkinhead 23 YO
    Smooth Ambler Revelation
    "You Can't Buy Happiness, but you can buy Whiskey!"