Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Laird Apple Brandy 100 proof No Longer Bonded?

Picked up a bottle today, first time I've seen it on the shelf (though I've never looked for it, was just wandering around my favorite shop).

Maybe old news, but it looks like its no longer Bottled in Bond. Still 100 pf, still straight, but nothing else on it. Is this new, or have I just never come across anything about them dropping it?

Guru

Re: Laird Apple Brandy 100 proof No Longer Bonded?

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman View Post
    Picked up a bottle today, first time I've seen it on the shelf (though I've never looked for it, was just wandering around my favorite shop).

Maybe old news, but it looks like its no longer Bottled in Bond. Still 100 pf, still straight, but nothing else on it. Is this new, or have I just never come across anything about them dropping it?
    Sounds new. Have not seen a bottle that didn't say Bottled in Bond on the part on the bottom of the label. But anything is possible.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

Yep, seems like it then. No mention of bonded anywhere on it that I see.

IMG_0802.jpgIMG_0803.jpg

Guru

Yep, seems like it then. No mention of bonded anywhere on it that I see.

IMG_0802.jpgIMG_0803.jpg
    Which means it could also be younger. BIB implied it was at least 4 years but reportedly was a year or two older in the past. Now presumably there is nothing to keep it from being much younger.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

I emailed the company. We will see if they respond.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Which means it could also be younger. BIB implied it was at least 4 years but reportedly was a year or two older in the past. Now presumably there is nothing to keep it from being much younger.
    And no longer being bonded, it seems Brandy has a lot looser requirements than other distilled beverages in the US, http://wordsonwhisky.com/2011/03/28/...m-with-brandy/. Have no idea how true that it, but disappointing if so.

Going to the juice itself, I only had a bit in a Glencarin, the nose was great, but on the taste I wouldn't be surprised if they've spiked the whole thing with NGS. Felt thin, without much character, and honestly made my stomach feel a bit sour for the rest of the night. Perhaps that's how it supposed to be, being first time with it I don't have anything to compare it to, but unless its a real standout in some cocktails or changes dramatically with airing I don't think I'll be picking up another.

Guru

And no longer being bonded, it seems Brandy has a lot looser requirements than other distilled beverages in the US, http://wordsonwhisky.com/2011/03/28/...m-with-brandy/. Have no idea how true that it, but disappointing if so.

Going to the juice itself, I only had a bit in a Glencarin, the nose was great, but on the taste I wouldn't be surprised if they've spiked the whole thing with NGS. Felt thin, without much character, and honestly made my stomach feel a bit sour for the rest of the night. Perhaps that's how it supposed to be, being first time with it I don't have anything to compare it to, but unless its a real standout in some cocktails or changes dramatically with airing I don't think I'll be picking up another.
    That looks to be a South African based regulation (at least the blog is) and apparently for blended brandy at that according to a commenter. Not sure what US regs say for Brandy that is BIB and I am not an expert on them by any means! But I think anything that claimed to be bottled in bond, be it whiskey or apple brandy, has to meet the same requirements.

Sec. 19.394 Bottled-in-bond spirits.

Spirits which are labeled as bottled-in-bond for domestic
    consumption shall meet the requirements in 27 CFR part 5 and shall bear
    a closure or other device as required by subpart T of this part.

§5.42 Prohibited practices.

(3) The words “bond”, “bonded”, “bottled in bond”, “aged in bond”, or phrases containing these or synonymous terms, shall not be used on any label or as part of the brand name of domestic distilled spirits unless the distilled spirits are:
    (i) Composed of the same kind of spirits produced from the same class of materials;
    (ii) Produced in the same distilling season by the same distiller at the same distillery;
    (iii) Stored for at least four years in wooden containers wherein the spirits have been in contact with the wood surface except for gin and vodka which must be stored for at least four years in wooden containers coated or lined with paraffin or other substance which will preclude contact of the spirits with the wood surface;
    (iv) Unaltered from their original condition or character by the addition or subtraction of any substance other than by filtration, chill proofing, or other physical treatments (which do not involve the addition of any substance which will remain incorporated in the finished product or result in a change in class or type);
    (v) Reduced in proof by the addition of pure water only to 100 degrees of proof; and
    (vi) Bottles at 100 degrees of proof.

Virtuoso

unless its a real standout in some cocktails or changes dramatically with airing I don't think I'll be picking up another.
    I love it in cocktails( at least the BIB version) here are a few to get you going:

Parlour Manhattan

1oz Laird’s Bonded Apple Brandy
    1oz Rittenhouse Bonded Rye
    .5oz Carpano Antica Formula sweet vermouth
    2 dashes Angostura bitters

Old Fashioned

1oz Laird’s Bonded Apple Brandy
    1oz Rittenhouse Bonded Rye
    2 dashes Orange bitters
    1 sugar cube

Apple Cart

Ingredients

1 oz. Apple Brandy
    3/4 oz. Cointreau
    1/2 oz. Lemon Juice (Fresh)

Instructions

Stir well in a mixing glass and serve over ice cubes in a chilled old-fashioned glass.

Jack-In-The-Box

Ingredients

1 oz. Apple Brandy
    1 oz. Pineapple Juice
    dash(es) Bitters

Instructions

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
    Last edited by Old Dusty; 12-08-2014 at 17:43.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Guru

I got a quick response from Laird's. It would appear the surging interest in brown spirits is not just impacting whiskey. But I applaud them for the rapid and forthright response and hope they can get back to BIB status soon.

Dear Mr. Tanstaafl,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us and thank you for supporting our Brandy.

We have long offered our 100 proof "Bottled in Bond" Apple Brandy. The US Government created the Bottled in Bond Act back in 1897. It was a way

for the government to insure the authenticity of a product. This designation requires:

·
    A Straight Spirit - not blended with other spirits
    ·
    Produced at one distillery
    ·
    Produced during one production year
    ·
    Bottled at 100 proof
    ·
    Aged at least 4 years
    ·
    Stored in a bonded warehouse under federal supervision

For many years, we had the luxury of a fully stocked barrel warehouse, with multiple barrels from each year of production. Over the last several years, the demand for our Apple Brandies has surged. As a result, we have depleted much of our reserve barrel stock. For the past two years, we were forced to allocate our straight brandies. This year, we had to blend more than one year's production when making our 100 proof brandy. Using more than one year's production, forced us to take the “Bottled in Bond” designation off of the label. I am told this year’s blend was 5% 5 year, 75% 4 year, and 20% 3 year brandy. Our plan is to replenish our brandy stocks, and in the future, to again use the “Bottled in Bond” designation.

We are very proud of our Straight 100 Proof Apple Brandy this year, and every year, and have every faith you will find it to your liking.

Best regards and Happy Holidays!

Thomas Alberico

VP Sales & Marketing

Laird & Company

One Laird Rd.

Scobeyville, NJ 07724

732 542 0312

www.lairdandcompany.com

Advanced Taster

Laird Apple Brandy 100 proof No Longer Bonded?

Love that response. Clear explanation. Giving the percentages was a classy touch. If only the Bourbon Makers were this forthright.
    One whiskey for every ghost.