Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Advanced Taster

Re: Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Is Bacardi 8 Anos any good??
    Currently this is the only rum I have open. Priced very well for what it is. I enjoy the odd rum as a change from whiskey. This one I would say is better than el dorado 12, I like it about the same as el dorado 15, but several steps under el dorado 21.

I enjoyed havana club barrel proof probably the most out of all the rums I have had, but has been unavailable here. I might get the ron zacapa 23 in the future...but $80 price point here seems steep. Pyrat XO reserve is $50 around here...which of the 2 is the better buy given the prices?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyToWhiskey View Post
    Currently this is the only rum I have open. Priced very well for what it is. I enjoy the odd rum as a change from whiskey. This one I would say is better than el dorado 12, I like it about the same as el dorado 15, but several steps under el dorado 21.

I enjoyed havana club barrel proof probably the most out of all the rums I have had, but has been unavailable here. I might get the ron zacapa 23 in the future...but $80 price point here seems steep. Pyrat XO reserve is $50 around here...which of the 2 is the better buy given the prices?
    I don't know where you live or if you can get things shipped in your state, but a Hi Time (www.hitimewine.net), you can get El Dorado 12 for $25.99, Ron Zacapa for $37.99 and Pyrat XO for $19.99. I'd say take the $80 that you were going to spend on the Z23 and buy all 3 and spend a tiny bit more.

http://www.hitimewine.net/RON-ZACAPA-23-RUM-750.html
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    I like rum occasionally, Cruzan makes great rum. Pyrat is fantastic for the $20 it sells for. Zacapa 23yr is mind boggling, just fantastic stuff. The world of rum is immense and intriguing, there is a ton of variance, but its really tough to beat excellent rum. I like it neat in the summer months. Appleton, Cruzan, and Mt Gay make great rum across the board. It's best to jump in head first.
    I had a bottle.of.Pyrat XO and both times I had to send it back becajse cork was rotting. Rum happens to create condensation. I am not sure why. But it saturates the cork which festers, then sweats that nasty stuff back in the rum. You get a terrible.stomach ache

So...no more Pyrat for me
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Virtuoso

I tried the Pyrat XO but wasn't a fan. Definitely preferred the Oronoco over it.

Virtuoso

I had a fling with rum. Then I found bourbon...

Heh, naw just kidding. I did have a brief fling with rum when I went gluten-free and thought any liquor or beer distilled from grain had gluten in it. Rum and potato vodka.

I have recently had the opportunity to try some Rhum Agricole, and was kind of blown away by that. Can be similar to tequila in the way it expresses the source plant.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

Currently drinking Ron Barcelo Anejo. Fairly light body, significant caramel flavor with a touch of molasses, a tad sweet, very mellow texture. Pretty much a poster child for the rums of Spanish-speaking islands (this one is made in Dominican Republic).

Pairs nicely with a cigar that is made with a Connecticut Shade wrapper-- Maduros would probably overwhelm it.

They make an Extra Anejo as well, but I can't get my hands on it.
    "Suppose he's got a pointed stick!?!"

- Eric Idle, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    I guess I should have added tbe Solera part. My understanding is that all extra aged rum is solera because it evaporates in the barrel.so fast you really dont have much choice.
    It changed from 23 anjos (years) to 23 solara after Diagio bought them and greatly increased distribution. They needed to use more younger juice to meet demand. If you compare an older bottle of the 23 anjos to a current solara offering you may be disappointed in the change. The XO changed considerably after the Diagio take over also.

Remember with rum there are pretty much no rules you can count on. In the USA if a Bourbon says 18 yrs on the label that is the youngest juice in the bottle. Not the case with rum at all. In most cases it means there may be some juice that old in there.

Rum is common and manufactured around the world with various levels of oversight. Even Nepal has a rum manufacturer. With nearly all rums there is usually no way of telling what has been added or how it has been added or modified although nearly all say that the flavors come only from the barrel. Taste something like Pyrat XO which tastes for all the world like an orange liqeur and see if it mirrors any of the barrel flavors you get from a Bourbon or Scotch.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    It changed from 23 anjos (years) to 23 solara after Diagio bought them and greatly increased distribution. They needed to use more younger juice to meet demand. If you compare an older bottle of the 23 anjos to a current solara offering you may be disappointed in the change. The XO changed considerably after the Diagio take over also.

Remember with rum there are pretty much no rules you can count on. In the USA if a Bourbon says 18 yrs on the label that is the youngest juice in the bottle. Not the case with rum at all. In most cases it means there may be some juice that old in there.

Rum is common and manufactured around the world with various levels of oversight. Even Nepal has a rum manufacturer. With nearly all rums there is usually no way of telling what has been added or how it has been added or modified although nearly all say that the flavors come only from the barrel. Taste something like Pyrat XO which tastes for all the world like an orange liqeur and see if it mirrors any of the barrel flavors you get from a Bourbon or Scotch.
    Agreed. Would the dusty version of RZ 23yr be the version that is covered completely in wicker (instead of the small strip)?

You're right rum is pretty much an un-standardized spirit industry. It might be why is hasn't taken off as much as bourbon and scotch has in recent years.
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Virtuoso

The palm wrapped was the first iteration and was imported on a small scale if I'm not mistaken. I have only sampled it a couple of times and haven't had a chance to compare a wrapped version with any of the others in a side by side tasting.

Last summer six of us did a blind taste with a bottle of 23 anjos from before the Diagio takeover, the current 23 solara and the current XO. Everyone preferred the 23 anjos by a large margin over the other two. It is worthwhile seeking it out as a dusty.

Also a dusty worth searching for if you are partial to the Cuban style is Matusalem Gran Reserve that was distilled and bottled in Lake Alfred Florida. Currently I think it's a product of PR and is good but the Lake Alfred bottlings always win out in bling tastings.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I have recently had the opportunity to try some Rhum Agricole, and was kind of blown away by that. Can be similar to tequila in the way it expresses the source plant.
    I am trying my first ones soon from Rhum JM and Rhum Clement. Supposed to be pretty remarkable difference and purity. Can't wait.