Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Connoisseur

Re: Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post

Also a dusty worth searching for if you are partial to the Cuban style is Matusalem Gran Reserve that was distilled and bottled in Lake Alfred Florida. Currently I think it's a product of PR and is good but the Lake Alfred bottlings always win out in bling tastings.
    I have the Gran Reserve 18yr which is phenomenal. I had two rum tastings and this one beat out all at both. I am pretty sure I can get another bottle, and have been looking to bunker it since it isn't in production.
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    I had a bottle.of.Pyrat XO and both times I had to send it back becajse cork was rotting. Rum happens to create condensation. I am not sure why. But it saturates the cork which festers, then sweats that nasty stuff back in the rum. You get a terrible.stomach ache

So...no more Pyrat for me
    I hear you. It does seem as though they have now gone to a synthetic cork closure. Its definitely not real cork in there, though they did do a good job making it look like one. When I saw it for $19.99 I had to grab it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Not directly on point I know, but I bought a bottle of Knob Creek in Toronto yesterday and noted it has the synthetic cork closure, first I've seen of it amongst the Beam range.

Gary

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by dridge11 View Post
    I am trying my first ones soon from Rhum JM and Rhum Clement. Supposed to be pretty remarkable difference and purity. Can't wait.
    I've been very enamored lately with the Rhum JM Blanc. It's the by far the best "white" rum that i've had.

I need to break down and get a couple of their other aged selections. I've only read reviews on them, and the suspense is building.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Virtuoso

On the dark side of things, having a nightcap pour of some Pyrat Cask 1623.

The thing that just gets me the most is how it just fills the air with it's smell. Much more so than any other bourbon i've every had. Not quite how it does it, but man, just letting it sit next to you is a dream.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Connoisseur

Doeseveryone find that rum has a hard bitter edge when it is just poured, but after a few minutes of air it becomes buttery and sweet?

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I like the Havana Club rums, I'm based in Canada so we get these here.

I used to like the Anejo best but now I add a dash of the 7 year old to it, which seems a perfect mingling.

They have the barrel proof here again and I'll get it soon. The last one seemed a little over-aged, but I'll try again and report anon.

Gary

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post

I used to like the Anejo best but now I add a dash of the 7 year old to it, which seems a perfect mingling.

They have the barrel proof here again and I'll get it soon. The last one seemed a little over-aged, but I'll try again and report anon.

Gary
    I'll actually be in Halifax next week! I was thinking of seeing what's available until I remebered that the stores are government controlled. Not a huge deal as i'll get to have Alexander Keiths IPA againa yum!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post

Gary

The barrel proof was my one of my favorites. This was a test marketed under that name then changed to "seleccion de maestros". Made from fermented molasses and aged in bourbon barrels.

Advanced Taster

RON MATUSALEM GRAN RESERVA 15 YO RUM

This rum is available around here for $45 (most stuff here is double price of most states). Anyone tried this?