Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Connoisseur

Re: Rum Forum

Nightcap of Zacapa 23yr last night.

I'm really starting to appreciate more aged rums than I ever have. There are some great producers out there in this field. Thankfully, at least by me, there are less options of these than bourbon, so thats a automatic limit of how many I may want to buy and try.

I love the sweetness from them to help my sweet tooth satisfy its cravings, I figure it's a bit better than having a bowl of ice cream. Plus less looks from the misses.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Advanced Taster

Made caipirinhas the other night with Leblon. First time using this cachaša. I've also used Cabana and Novo Fogo (gold). Leblon tasted and smelled much more like molasses than I remember the others tasting and smelling like. Not a good or bad thing, just an observation.

Advanced Taster

I've been getting into rum lately, exploring different styles from around the Caribbean. Picked up a couple bottles of Appleton 12 for $25 on sale from Montgomery County liquors a few weeks ago and picked up an Appleton 21 for $60 in Maryland today (PM me if you want info). Haven't had it before, but you can't beat the price. Looking forward to setting up a tasting flight in the near future.

I have a decent collection of rums (last count was in the 100 bottle range). Some flavored, some spiced, some the real thing. It's hard for me to pick a favorite, though.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    Nightcap of Zacapa 23yr last night.

I'm really starting to appreciate more aged rums than I ever have. There are some great producers out there in this field. Thankfully, at least by me, there are less options of these than bourbon, so thats a automatic limit of how many I may want to buy and try.

I love the sweetness from them to help my sweet tooth satisfy its cravings, I figure it's a bit better than having a bowl of ice cream. Plus less looks from the misses.

B
    Did you mean 23 Solara or 23yr? Not the same Rum. If you know where there are any bottles of 23yr available I suggest you buy them all.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Did you mean 23 Solara or 23yr? Not the same Rum. If you know where there are any bottles of 23yr available I suggest you buy them all.
    They're essentially the same juice, just with different words on the bottle. Zacapa hasn't made a true 23-year age stated rum, since they use pseudo-solera blending

Connoisseur

Yes, the Solera. Basically the only version that i've ever come across.

I've only read about the old, old version, but the new is still very nice.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Rutherford View Post
    They're essentially the same juice, just with different words on the bottle. Zacapa hasn't made a true 23-year age stated rum, since they use pseudo-solera blending
    In a blind tasting last summer and again recently there was a very noticeable difference between the older bottles with 23years on them and newer bottles with 23 solara on them. They says it's the same but it isn't, not even particularly close.

Advanced Taster

New rum being released in stores here; EL DORADO SINGLE BARREL EHP DEMERARA RUM

Any thought on this one?
    Prices are high here...in reference; Zacapa Solera 23 $80, EL DORADO SINGLE BARREL EHP DEMERARA RUM $100
    Is it worth more than the Zacapa?

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Don't know about that one, but El Dorado 12 yo is a fave at $30. Try a 4 to 1 mix of ED 12yo and Grand Marnier over a few cubes. The orange flavors actually add a balancing dryness.
    No US taxpayer was harmed in the making of my Ford racecar.