Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Rum Forum

I'll have to try that Randy. Old rum and orange seem to have a complementary relation. I believe ED 12 and 15 (at least) are flavored with something of a fruity nature too, some kind of fruit extract, which may explain their particularly rich and savory flavor, and perhaps aptness for this treatment.

I have just perfected a great blend of ED 12 and 15.

Gary

Disciple

This weekend I tried rum "seriously" for the first time. I've of course had rum as a mixer, but never anything too memorable. I've been thinking about trying some decent rum for a while and finally got around to it. The selection of rum here is absolutely dismal but there are a few things that interest me. The one I chose first was Zaya 12 year old. I'd have gone with Ron Abuelo 12 but it seems to be sold out right now.

I had the Zaya in a Glencairn, and really enjoyed it. So much candy sweetness and vanilla, certainly not something I could drink every day because of the sweetness but I can already tell I'll be happy with the purchase of this bottle. It'll be a while, but I think my next one will probably be Flor de Cana 18; I understand that it will probably be drier than the Zaya and so it will give me a beginning of an understanding of the variety in rum.
    Jim

Virtuoso

I know very little about higher-end sipping rums but decided to try to rectify that today. I was torn between two: Ron Zacapa Centenario ($45) and Ron Pampero Aniversario ($32). Ultimately I went with the Pampero because it was a little cheaper. I kind of wish I had gone with the Zacapa but I didn't want to spend that much on something I might not like at all. So we'll see what I think of the Pampero when I open it later today.

Virtuoso

Here's a picture of the rum I mentioned in the previous post. You can tell how dark it truly is even with the obvious flash from the camera.

I just cracked it open and I'm tasting it neat out of a glencairn glass. The nose has a lot of vanilla and is almost bourbon-like. Flavors I pick out of it neat are smooth toffee, butter, caramel and a little spice on the back end. For rum, this stuff is incredibly complex. Highly recommended!

Guru

Personally, I think you made the right choice. The Centenario is nice but perhaps a bit too sweet (and has long battled allegations of using additional sugar. I have no evidence either way. If you want a different, but equally good sipper, for about the same money as the Pampero consider seeking out the El Dorado 15 yo. One of my favorites not least of all because of the price.

From your picture it is like the Weller 12yo of rum!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Personally, I think you made the right choice. The Centenario is nice but perhaps a bit too sweet (and has long battled allegations of using additional sugar. I have no evidence either way. If you want a different, but equally good sipper, for about the same money as the Pampero consider seeking out the El Dorado 15 yo. One of my favorites not least of all because of the price.

From your picture it is like the Weller 12yo of rum!
    Thanks for the recommendation! I'll see if I can find the El Dorado 15 here.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I'll have to try that Randy. Old rum and orange seem to have a complementary relation. I believe ED 12 and 15 (at least) are flavored with something of a fruity nature too, some kind of fruit extract, which may explain their particularly rich and savory flavor, and perhaps aptness for this treatment.

I have just perfected a great blend of ED 12 and 15.

Gary
    Have no proof but I doubt the ED is "flavored" with anything. Rather you are getting the "flavor" of the ancient wooden pot stills that are the source of part of the distillate which is blended with rum from a variety of stills owned by Demerara Distillers Limited, the local monopoly on rum in Guyana. When the still are repaired they are fixed a stave at a time leaving the others that have been soaking in rum for who knows how long. You are getting all that flavor from the rum that has passed through for generations added to each new batch. It also means that the ED can change a little from batch to batch but the core taste that makes it special is always there!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

I was pleasantly surprised by Pampero Aniversario when I first was offered an after dinner dram. I'm surprised the price has remained reasonable as well.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation! I'll see if I can find the El Dorado 15 here.
    I should also point out that El Dorado 15 (and all their expressions with an age statement) means that the youngest rum in the bottle is 15 years old. How they sell it for what they do is beyond me but I am happy they do! The 21yo is wonderful as well but for the price the 15yo is hard to beat. The 12yo is also good but the step up to the 15 is worth it to me.

This is unlike Zacapa which, after Diageo ruined, umm, took control of it, became a "solera" rum rather than a true 23 yo rum.

Enthusiast

This is all welcomed and interesting info. I needed some aged rum to round out my bar and fill a mixed case discount from TPS when I took advantage of their flat rate shipping. I ordered a bottle of EL DORADO SPECIAL RESERVE RUM 15YR and the FLOR DE CANA CENTENARIO RUM 12YR. Should be here in a few days.