Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Virtuoso

Re: Rum Forum

A friend keeps a Cruzan Black Strap in the freezer and always pours me some neat when I visit. Served crazy cold without ice it's a fun unusual pour.

Connoisseur

El Dorado 15 and 25 located, but they're going to have to wait, as I just bought an awful lot of Four Roses LE's in the past few weeks...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kalessin View Post
    El Dorado 15 and 25 located, but they're going to have to wait, as I just bought an awful lot of Four Roses LE's in the past few weeks...
    El Dorado 25 is quite a find! Uncommon and typically costs well north of $200. I have never seen it, much less had any. The 21yo is superb, much more affordable and readily available. But for the cost the 15yo is just about it's equal and by far the best value since I can buy two and half to three bottles of the 15yo El Dorado for the price of one 21yo. So I typically buy the wonderful 15yo without a second thought.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

The El Dorado 25 here is $360. El Dorado had 3 minis in a set; the 12, 15, and 21. These sets were reduced to 1/2 price over a year ago and I picked up my share. Out of all the rums I had so far, the El Dorado 21 has been the best.

Virtuoso

I ran across that same set of ElDo minis last year, also on sale and scooped them all up for Christmas presents. Was surprised to find that all the 21's were only about 1/2 full. Still not clear if they were packaged that way because it was the most expensive juice or if someone at the liquor store helped themselves.

To my palate the progression of El Dorado Rums is dryer, richer and more complex as they get older with the exception being the 12 which to me seems to be a little dryer than the 15. Each is a different blend with a different target taste and they are all excellent. Are the older ones worth the added cost? Everyone will have to make their own decision on that.

Advanced Taster

I picked up 8 of the mini packs...all had the 21 full. Was the seal broken? If not I guess a manufacturing issue. The 12yo here is $36, the 15yo is $60, the SB EHP is $100, and the 21yo is $110. With those numbers I guess the best buy/quality would be the 12. I like the Angostura 1919 8yo I picked up for $40. I am thinking my next rum purchase might be Plantation Old Reserve for $40 and Angostura 1824 12yo for $76. Is the 1824 better than the 1919? Is it worth the extra $?

Virtuoso

Those numbers are frightening! The 15 is less than $35 here.

Guru

What is the difference between Cachaca and first molasses? Both are derived from sugar cane...is the sugar cane juice not boiled as it is in molasses?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyToWhiskey View Post
    I picked up 8 of the mini packs...all had the 21 full. Was the seal broken? If not I guess a manufacturing issue. The 12yo here is $36, the 15yo is $60, the SB EHP is $100, and the 21yo is $110. With those numbers I guess the best buy/quality would be the 12. I like the Angostura 1919 8yo I picked up for $40. I am thinking my next rum purchase might be Plantation Old Reserve for $40 and Angostura 1824 12yo for $76. Is the 1824 better than the 1919? Is it worth the extra $?
    I'd love to find a mini-pack around here. Love the ED 12 and 15 I have. Finally found a source for the 3 locally. I'm a big fan. Around here, the 15 is the easiest to find of them all.

Any tiki fans on the forum? The amount of rum I own and consume has grown by leaps and bounds since getting Beachbum Berry Remixed last year for Christmas (along with a tiki bowl and tiki mugs).

im pretty new to both bourbon and rum. ive found 3 though that i reallly really like. legendario, havana club 7, and my favorite is zacapa 23.