Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Rum Forum

I'm not trying to be facetious in saying, I used to find the 15 noticeably drier than the 12, and now I find it sweeter! I do believe these drinks change over time. As a natural product produced from limited stocks, this seems inevitable and is a plus in my book.

I may have to bring my current blend of the two to the next Gazebo as well! I did it about two weeks ago to try to maximize the best of each and it is very good if I may say.

Gary

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I'm not trying to be facetious in saying, I used to find the 15 noticeably drier than the 12, and now I find it sweeter! I do believe these drinks change over time. As a natural product produced from limited stocks, this seems inevitable and is a plus in my book.

I may have to bring my current blend of the two to the next Gazebo as well! I did it about two weeks ago to try to maximize the best of each and it is very good if I may say.

Gary
    I suspect that DDL can and does adjust the source stills used for each one of the ED rums from time to time and that would certainly affect the profile. A change to a sweeter profile in the 15yo may be in an effort to counter and compete with the increase in sweeter rums in general in recent years like Zacapa.

And you are absolutely right that as a blend of rums that includes batched products from 2 different pot stills the ED rums can have some variability from time to time. I suspect those old wooden pot stills are still evolving over time and that is definitely a good thing in my book!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Here's a chart I found that shows the different stills El Dorado uses for the expressions
    el_dorado_stills__product.jpg

That is very interesting, thanks for that.

Despite that the 15 includes make from the wooden pot still and the 12 doesn't, I find them quite similar except the 15, well, older.

What is the PM still, what type is that if you know?

Also, I understand fruit concentrates are added to ED, at least the 12 and 15 (not sure about the 21 and 25), do you know if this is true?

Gary

Advanced Taster

The PM still is a double wooden pot still. Here's a link about El Dorado 12 http://www.rumgallery.com/el-dorado-12-year-old.html

Well, my blend (I actually have two) of the 12 and 15 would probably be considered, um, unorthodox by the company given this fascinating matrix of distillations from which its brands are carefully assembled, but I think they would agree it is very good! I will have to bring one now to April Gazebo, with my Smith & Cross.

By the way the taster they quote at the bottom of the page you linked, from Jan, 2011, stated what I said earlier here about the 12 vs. the 15, that the former has a richer fruitier profile. However, based on tastings almost two years later of current stock, I'd say the 15 has gotten sweeter and the 12 drier. Just my impression.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 01-08-2013 at 19:10.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    What do you guys think about Oronoco?

I ask because I "reacquired" a 1L bottle of it from a friend. It tastes pretty good to me. Different from the Pampero but still good.

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    An interesting rum from Brazil, it is made from cane juice like a rhum agricole by a company better known for making cachaça. It doesn't qualify as cachaça though as it is distilled to a proof to high for cachaça and then the juice is blended with other traditional molasses based rums. I don't have a bottle but have tried it. Fairly sweet and drinkable for a white rum as I recall but I would have to try it again to refresh my memory.

I have seen it priced anywhere from the low to mid $30's to mid $40's. Haven't priced it locally recently and it can sometimes be hard to find. As a mixing rum there are others that I like just as well that are much less expensive and more readily available like Flor de Cana 4yo or El Dorado 3yo (which is also quite tasty and pretty good on its own!).

Might make a decent sipper if you want to sip white rum (nothing wrong with white rum neat or on the rocks necessarily, just not something I do routinely as there are too many delicious brown rums I like better!) or work well in a mojito.
    Saw a bottle of Oronoco today and bought it on an impulse. Pricey but I don't think it is just an overpriced vanilla flavored rum as I think the vanilla flavor is a natural product of its fairly unique type of production. In any case I think it will work well as a mixer and may prove to be the decent sipper that I seem to recall it being as well.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post

Gary
    I tried to combine a very small amount of Angostura 1919 8yr (which I like, but does have a bit too much vanilla), and the Angostura 1824 12yr (which is more expensive, and a different profile not many like). The result....not good at all. Chalk it up as a fail.

What % did you used for the ED 12 and 15? I may want to try this.

On the 12 to 15, about 4:1.

I fully agree viz. those Angosturas by the way. One is vanilla/rubbery so to speak (the 1919), the other has deep aged pot still notes that seem best on their own.

But blending 12 and 15 is different, really.

Gary

Guru

No bourbon today but I did pick up a bottle of the Banks 7 Golden rum, companion to the white Banks 5 Island rum. Both have plenty of that Batavia Arrack goodness to help set them apart from other rums.

Although I think it contains some older rum than the Banks 5 rum the 7 refers to the 7 source countries for the blended cane spirits rather than an age statement.

Banks 7 Golden rum.JPG

I think it has been available for awhile elsewhere but it is new to Georgia.