Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Guru

Re: Rum Forum

The return of Pirates and Rum, 21st century style!

David D. was recently waxing poetical on his Spirits Journal forum about pirates and rum but it seems not all is copacetic in the balmy Cribbean, at least when it comes to rum!

It seems the pirates now wear business suits and there is an all out "rum war" on between Puerto Rico and USVI to gain favor with the three of the biggest producers and now smaller rum producers in other parts of the Caribbean are starting to get concerned it could squeeze a lot of them (like Mount Gay, Seales, Appleton, Wray & Nephews, Sangster, Myers, Barbancourt, Brugal, Barcelo, Ron Matusalem, Flor de Cana, Demeraran Distillers Ltd. who make El Dorado) out of business.

That would be a sad thing indeed. Might have to stock up on some of my favorites just in case!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Another way of looking at it is subsidies will increase the supply of bulk mixing rums to private label (supermarkets, Costco, etc.) suppliers so we consumers can continue to enjoy bargain prices. Having said that I'm gonna give some thought to stocking up while I can.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Another way of looking at it is subsidies will increase the supply of bulk mixing rums to private label (supermarkets, Costco, etc.) suppliers so we consumers can continue to enjoy bargain prices. Having said that I'm gonna give some thought to stocking up while I can.
    No doubt it will provide more cheap bulk rum, probably of little real character, for use in private label offerings. But all distilleries sell bulk rum to some degree to survive and if the big three can do it vastly cheaper than the smaller guys it will help to further drive the smaller guys into oblivion. If this were fair market forces it would be one thing but this is happening because local governments, with the full aid and complicity of our own thoughtful congress, are giving the big guys massive subsidies by using a tax that was supposed to help build local infrastructure to instead subsidize big rum producers, who are already quite profitable on their own, in order to keep a few more jobs around (and likely win a few extra votes for the elected officials involved).

if it continues I suspect many small distilleries will fold and those that survive will have to charge more for their higher end and more interesting products.

As usual it sounds like a lose-lose for the consumer. At least the ones who like a bit more choice in the products available.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 02-05-2013 at 10:12.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

I wouldn't apply the term thoughtful to Congress but political animals are certainly cunning and posses well honed survival instincts. Nearsighted tax policies wrecked the smaller ship builders in New England and, I agree, similar policies could have a very damaging effect on the smaller rum producers in the Caribbean.

Virtuoso

El Dorado, both the 12 and 15 years, are two of my favorites. RZS 23 is also high on the list and I buy it when it is on sale. I also have a bottle of Pyrat 1623 stashed away, along with a pistol and a bottle of Planter's Reserve from before Pyrat was bought-out and before their rum changed so much in flavor. I also have an older bottle of Zaya 12, from when it was more of a rum, and less of a vanilla-extracty thing (whatever it is now).

I use El Dorado or RZS as a base for my sazerac cocktails, instead of sugar/simple syrup.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

Erich do you use those rums as a syrup substitute in other cocktails?

Virtuoso

yes, absolutely. in my personal experience El Dorado 15 and RZS23 seem to work the best. I'm out of RZS23 right now, but have a bottle of XO I got for about 50 bucks (too much, if you ask me). I'm currently using the Zacapa XO little by little. Sometimes I use some Planter's gold if I want more of an orangey flavor, especially in something like an old-fashioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

Have you used any other golds?

Guru

I'm asking because I'm developing cocktails that won't be using so much sugar.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I wouldn't apply the term thoughtful to Congress but political animals are certainly cunning and posses well honed survival instincts. Nearsighted tax policies wrecked the smaller ship builders in New England and, I agree, similar policies could have a very damaging effect on the smaller rum producers in the Caribbean.
    "Thoughtful" in this case required the use of sarcafont* to make it clear!

*Sarcafont is the font one uses to clearly identify sarcasm in a post!