Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Guru

Re: Rum Forum

I gotta be clear in my posts now? Aw, man.

Virtuoso

Squire, you should be able to get a bottle of El Dorado 12, 15, or Ron Zacapa 23 Solera somewhere near you for not too much. as an ingredient, the bottle will last for a very long time, and would be a good investment. Another one I sometimes use, is Mount Gay XO, but it isn't my top recommendation. Would definitely recommend the Zacapa Solera 23 as a regular substitute for sugar.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

Almost grabbed a Ron Zacapa 23 Solera today, but some of the talk on here about it changing scared me away. Still worthy or is there something else out there better for a rum newb (aside from cocktails and with coke) to spend his time and money on?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Almost grabbed a Ron Zacapa 23 Solera today, but some of the talk on here about it changing scared me away. Still worthy or is there something else out there better for a rum newb (aside from cocktails and with coke) to spend his time and money on?

There's nothing wrong with the current Zacapa 23, it's really good rum. It's just not as good as it was about 10 years ago. not buying it would be like saying you wouldn't buy a PVW15 from 2008 because it wasn't as good as ORVW15 from 1998. Not particularly fair to either.
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Guru

K. So Pyrat XO, another popular option, is $20 cheaper...preference there? Looking for something of value that can be used as a sipper and mixer.

Virtuoso

Pyrat XO is about 2% orange extract. It's a great mixer, but not so good neat. I use it for a rum and coke when I'm in the mood for that orangey-ness, or as a sweetener in an old fashioned. You really can't go wrong with Ron Zacapa 23 as an introduction into decent rum. If you can find El Dorado 12, that would be another good option.

What is Ron Zacapa 23 where you're at? I see it for 32-36 here, and Pyrat runs 20-26.

Guru

I'm only interested in mixers at the present time guys. I've had some high end rums in the past but that's not my current focus.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ErichPryde View Post
    Pyrat XO is about 2% orange extract. It's a great mixer, but not so good neat. I use it for a rum and coke when I'm in the mood for that orangey-ness, or as a sweetener in an old fashioned. You really can't go wrong with Ron Zacapa 23 as an introduction into decent rum. If you can find El Dorado 12, that would be another good option.

What is Ron Zacapa 23 where you're at? I see it for 32-36 here, and Pyrat runs 20-26.
    I personally don't care for Pyrat XO as a sipping rum and the orange notes can really influence a drink as a mixer to me.

Ron Zacapa 23 (which is not 23 yo rum by the way) in Atlanta typically runs in the mid $40's as of the last time I looked a month or so ago. Very sweet and maybe a good transition to drinking rum neat for the rum n' coke crowd.

El Dorado 12 & 15yo (which are age stated rums) have been my favorites in recent years. The 15 runs $10 or more less than Zacapa and the 12 is even less than the 15. Of note the 15 is not just the 12 with three more years. They are slightly different formulations of several rums produced by DDL in Guyana using some truly historic stills. I think some have noted a change in quality over time but I haven't noticied it myself. But it is worth noting that these are batch made rums and there are slight differences from batch to batch even among the 15 or the 12 line. I happen to like that about it and so always look forward to exploring each new bottle. And I can't recall ever having a bad one.

Personally I am sure I am a little biased but for QPR it is hard to beat them as a sipping rum. But it also makes a wonderful mixer and is a tiki staple.

And if you want to step it up another notch you can always reach for the 21yo usually available here for a fairly reasonable $70-80 or so if memory serves.

If you can find it I find Doorly's XO from Barbados to be a pretty reasonable inexpensive rum at around $15 for both mixing and sipping. R.L. Seale 10 yo from the same distillery is a little more here locally, maybe low $20's, but also quite nice.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Are those the historic wooded column stills I've read about?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Are those the historic wooded column stills I've read about?
    Yes, DDL has both a wooden column still and two wooden pot stills that are still used in rum production.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum