Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Guru

Re: Rum Forum

That is way cool, El Dorado just made the list.

Advanced Taster

ED12 is one of the best deals compared to other rums here. ED 12 is $33, RZ23 is $80, and ED15 is $60. Appletons 12yo the other reasonable buy at $38.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post

El Dorado 12 & 15yo (which are age stated rums) have been my favorites in recent years. The 15 runs $10 or more less than Zacapa and the 12 is even less than the 15.

Interesting. When I can find El Dorado 15 here, it runs 10 dollars MORE than the Zacapa. however, I prefer it to RZS23.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Rum Forum

Had my first "sipping" rum tonight, purchased a bottle of Zaya tonight as a gift and had a sip when the bottle was opened...really changed my view on rums as traditionally I only drank rum and cokes or other rum drinks.. Very sweet and really way too easy to drink. I think I might have to pick up a bottle of El Dorado as the 15 and 21 are available to me in PA to broaden my liquor horizons

Guru

Rum Forum

Had a small pour of the ED15 tonight - lovely stuff
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

One of my locals has ED I believe, if I get out tomorrow we'll see.

Guru

Came across an interesting looking bottle today. Whether it is any good remains to be seen but for $30 for a liter it seemed worth a try. It is Rhum Arehucas and is a product of Spain but is produced in the Canary Islands. There are several versions on the website but the only one in the store was the Oro or gold rum. One down side is that this bottle is only 37.5 ABV. Some of the other options, especially the aged rums, are at least 40 ABV.

Any who, it will be interesting to try.

With all the talk about Zacapa I decided to also pick up a bottle of Botran Solera 1893 (like I needed MORE rum...). Made in Guatemala by the same company that makes Zacapa, it is also made from fermented cane syrup, is named for the family that owns the distillery and is reportedly a good bit different from the Zacapa rums. Also at about $31 it seemed like a worthwhile experiment to compare it to Zacapa.

Rum Arehucas.jpgBotran.jpg

I passed for now on Richland Rum at $55. It is a young rhum agricole style rum made in Americus, Georgia (In the southern part of the state where sugar cane fields can be found). It has only been in operation for a year or so and it appears they are aging in small barrels. The rum had a lot of color making me thing it is being artificially colored although I don't know that. Anyway at the price I think I would have to try it first. One of the friendly local whiskey mongers that I rely on for insite on new beverages suggested it was OK but not at that price. I am inclined to agree, at least until I can try it for myself.
    Last edited by tanstaafl2; 02-08-2013 at 15:17.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Anybody tried the newish Kirk and Sweeney rum from the DR yet? Just arrived in my local store for $30. Given I can get ED12 for less I wasn't too excited but I could be persauded to change my mind.

Comes from 35 Maple Street, the spirits side (and address apparently) of "The Other Guys" which is a Sonoma, CA based wine company that is also responsible for Masterson's Rye.

Like Masterson's the bottle is kinda funky and interesting although that so far isn't enough to get me to bite.

Kirk and Sweeney.JPG
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

I'll be headed out to pick up some El Dorado when the store opens.

Guru

Went to the store to get some El Dorado and got sidetracked. In the sale bin was a bottle of 8 year old Barbancourt and when I showed an interest the guy said, "That's been sitting around here for years, if you want it I'll knock a few more dollars off the bottle". So I paid the $14.34 and it went home with me.