Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Virtuoso

Re: Rum Forum

good buy, at that price. i never really got into barbancourt too much, sometimes seems to have less refined raw sugar cane notethat i find distracting.

i still strongly recommend el dorado, especially the fifteen year old.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Virtuoso

That has to be the heaviest bottle I have ever encountered. The Rum is OK at that price, but the bottle is really something.

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Anybody tried the newish Kirk and Sweeney rum from the DR yet? Just arrived in my local store for $30. Given I can get ED12 for less I wasn't too excited but I could be persauded to change my mind.

Comes from 35 Maple Street, the spirits side (and address apparently) of "The Other Guys" which is a Sonoma, CA based wine company that is also responsible for Masterson's Rye.

Like Masterson's the bottle is kinda funky and interesting although that so far isn't enough to get me to bite.

Attachment 14766

Guru

Yes, I am curious about that, how much sherry influence do you find in the El Dorado 12?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Yes, I am curious about that, how much sherry influence do you find in the El Dorado 12?
    While you might find sherry like notes in the El Dorado rums it is not aged in sherry casks. The barrels are reported to be all once used American oak whiskey/bourbon barrels. The flavor comes from the unique stills and of course the time they spend on wood. Here is another link with info on the rum.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    That has to be the heaviest bottle I have ever encountered. The Rum is OK at that price, but the bottle is really something.
    Yes, it looked interesting. I don't like to buy something just for the bottle but this may prove to be an exception if the rum is decent! I am guessing it is made by Bermudez in the DR which is not a brand I see very often in the US. Their Anniversario is the 12yo rum so I suspect this is similar stock.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Virtuoso

Yes, it looked interesting. I don't like to buy something just for the bottle but this may prove to be an exception if the rum is decent! I am guessing it is made by Bermudez in the DR which is not a brand I see very often in the US. Their Anniversario is the 12yo rum so I suspect this is similar stock.
    Seems like I remember reading the Anniversario is a blend of Rums from several different sources, and it might be the same with this.

Guru

That's a good link tanstaalt, the lady who runs that site is very knowledgeable and posts often on the Ministry of Rum website.

According to the Master Blender for El Dorado some of the rums used in their blends are aged in Sherry casks, particularly Pedro Ximenez, and the Sherry notes are most evident in the 12 year expression. Let me toss some Wray & Nephew in my coffee and I might remember more.

Guru

Rum Forum

Here is another link with info on the rum.
    Fascinating read! Thanks for posting it.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    That's a good link tanstaalt, the lady who runs that site is very knowledgeable and posts often on the Ministry of Rum website.

According to the Master Blender for El Dorado some of the rums used in their blends are aged in Sherry casks, particularly Pedro Ximenez, and the Sherry notes are most evident in the 12 year expression. Let me toss some Wray & Nephew in my coffee and I might remember more.
    Could be. The website says it is bourbon casks. But they don't always give all the facts I suppose. A bit like bourbon distillers that way...

Guru

I understand that's the reformulation of their blends since the changes in 2006.