Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Rum Forum

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Time for my Mambo lesson so I am off to Cuba today. And that means rum!

Some Cuban friends suggested I try Varadero because they think it is better than the Havana Club. Works for me and besides I have Havana Club in liquor cabinet and I am always up for something new!

US cell phones don't work there and I am told internet connectivity sucks anyway (dial up when they have it all in most cases) so it sounds like I will be offline for awhile.

That probably won't do me any harm either...
    Have a safe and fun trip, Bruce. Talk to you when you get back!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Time for my Mambo lesson so I am off to Cuba today. And that means rum!

Some Cuban friends suggested I try Varadero because they think it is better than the Havana Club. Works for me and besides I have Havana Club in liquor cabinet and I am always up for something new!

US cell phones don't work there and I am told internet connectivity sucks anyway (dial up when they have it all in most cases) so it sounds like I will be offline for awhile.

That probably won't do me any harm either...
    Fire up a text based browser and you'll fly along on dial up!

Advanced Taster

Just picked up Plantation Grande Reserve....great rum, and cheap too.

Disciple

$5 coupon day at Binny's brought an El Dorado 15 down to $34.99 so it came home to replace a departed 12. Never had the 15 before (and I know some prefer the 12) but a preliminary mini sip is promising. Feel a healthy pour coming on tonight.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

Picked up a bottle of Cruzan Gold Aged Rum yesterday and was all set for comparison cocktails this weekend but the weather turned too blasted cold for anything but whisky and coffee.

Virtuoso

T Comp, that's a spectacular deal. I strongly prefer the ED15 over the 12.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

E and T, what do y'all think about the nose of the ED15? I picked up a bottle a few weeks ago, and have visited it several times, since. But, I have to admit that I am put off by the nose. Something funky. Sipping it, there is none of that, which is disagreeable to me. It's delightful, actually. Creamy sweet, touch of orange, and with a drying and spectacularly long finish. But, there is something on the nose that doesn't hit me right. I have a bottle of Plantation Rum Grande Reserve that gave me the same funk. What are your nosing thoughts on this?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Advanced Taster

Rum Forum

I thought I liked ED 15 over the 12. Blind tasting a bunch of rum I picked the 12 over the 15. Either way Eldorado is a fav

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    E and T, what do y'all think about the nose of the ED15? I picked up a bottle a few weeks ago, and have visited it several times, since. But, I have to admit that I am put off by the nose. Something funky. Sipping it, there is none of that, which is disagreeable to me. It's delightful, actually. Creamy sweet, touch of orange, and with a drying and spectacularly long finish. But, there is something on the nose that doesn't hit me right. I have a bottle of Plantation Rum Grande Reserve that gave me the same funk. What are your nosing thoughts on this?
    What you might be getting on the nose is a whiff of something the Cognac guys call rancio. Kind of a musty funk that hints at soggy old wood. As odd as it sounds if it's a balanced part of the nose and flavors it can work. Might be an acquired appreciation however.

Virtuoso

joe, basically what sailor said. I describe it as a kind of musty, organic off-ness that's there, that sound about right?
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.