Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Rum Forum

Guru

Re: Rum Forum

Thanks for posting that link Steve. I don't always agree with Driscoll's tasting notes but I do enjoy his travels.

Guru

I will say that in my reading over on Ministry of Rum the loose age statement policies practiced by the producers are openly discussed, as are such tidbits as how El Dorado 12 manages to be so sweet when it's older age stated rums are less so.

I've found the Ministry to be a good source of information and discussion. Criticism of specific products, such as rums which use flavoring, have numbers on the labels that don't correspond to age, or are bad, is done. Trolling, attacking members, and spreading disinformation are not well tolerated.

Getting accurate information on many rums is more difficult than bourbon, as US regulations for rum are less stringent for rum.

Guru

Back from my rum soaked vacation to Cuba. Gotta love a place where the rum drinking starts before noon...

Tried several different brands but the main national brand that most people know, Havana Club, proved to be the best for sipping neat. Tried pretty much everything and the 7 años proved to be the best bang for the buck at about 15 CUC for a 700ml (local currency is .87 CUC's to the dollar. A rip off because Cuba adds an extra 10% fee to US currency not charged to other currency's. I used Pounds as a result). Also tried the HC Barrel Proof, a 90 proof rum no longer being made, the HC Seleccion de Maestros (40 CUCs) which is apparently its replacement and also 90 proof and finally the 80 proof 15 años which was by far the best but cost a ridiculous 150 CUC.

I did get the bartender to give me the bottle we finished off at the bar as a "souvenir" and brought that home with me.

Havana Club 15 year.jpg

Bringing rum (or cigars) is of course illegal and seemed foolish since I was coming directly back from Cuba and I since I already have some Havana Club rum brought back on trips from other countries.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Went to the store to pick up Appleton Blenders' Legacy. Regular price is $90, which is good for Canada....to my surprise there was a clearance for $63. I picked up all 3 on the shelf. Great rum...a little step up from the 12yo

Taster

I try to keep bottles of Barbancourt 15 and Don Q Gran Añejo. Both are great sipping rums!

Now, on stuff I will try NOT to keep, I recently took a risk on a bottle of this Kraken run. Great looking bottle. The contents were rather vile though. As a last resort, I tried it with some coffee. However, that was not sufficient to save iot from getting tossed down the drain

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Variable View Post
    I try to keep bottles of Barbancourt 15 and Don Q Gran Añejo. Both are great sipping rums!

Now, on stuff I will try NOT to keep, I recently took a risk on a bottle of this Kraken run. Great looking bottle. The contents were rather vile though. As a last resort, I tried it with some coffee. However, that was not sufficient to save iot from getting tossed down the drain
    I have heard a Kracken and Coke is good (i never tried it). I'm not a big fan of any spiced rum.

Virtuoso

It's hard to think of any spiced Rum as a sipper. I'm sure some make interesting cocktails.

Guru

Feeling a bit rummy tonight so it was back to a couple of old favorites, El Dorado 12 and 15. The 12 is good but the 15 is still better at least to me. Just richer and a little more funky than the 12. Saw a post about the two on SKU's blog but I just can't agree. I find nothing overdone with the 15. She's just right!

For me the 12 is just a little less interesting. If the 15 weren't around it would be fine (and it is a fine rum in its own right!) but given a choice the 15 wins every time for me. Of course they are composed of different rums from different stills so one can't really make a direct comparison between them.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

Happened upon Myers's Legend 10yo while checking out stores I haven't been in for awhile. Don't see that much locally (or else just haven't noticed it) so I picked one up even though it was a bit pricey at $40.

Surprised to see that it was in the exact same bottle at the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. Tried it out against Appleton 12yo. Both were nice but didn't find it to be a big enough difference to make it worth hunting for with the Appleton readily available as the Jamaican pot still component of the liquor cabinet. And while the bottle style is a nice appearance it is a pain to store.

I am reminded why this style of rum is thought to be "whiskey-like". Something about the pot still source and they way they pick up a whiskey influence from the barrel more than other rums seem to.